This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5183 / 51°31'5"N
Longitude: -1.7316 / 1°43'53"W
OS Eastings: 418716
OS Northings: 179961
OS Grid: SU187799
Mapcode National: GBR 4VX.M23
Mapcode Global: VHB3T.X3XF
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023312
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318290
Location: Chiseldon, Swindon, SN4
Civil Parish: Chiseldon
Built-Up Area: Chiseldon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
CHURCH STREET (north side)
Church of the Holy Cross
Fairly large parish church with tower-porch sited on south wall of south aisle.
Mostly Perpendicular style with an arcade. Chancel arch and east window of
circa 1200 and some Anglo-Saxon fragments. Built of rubble with lead and tile
Three stage tower with porch below, belfry stage set back, first 2 stages with
angle buttresses. Coved cornices with corner gargoyles and carved faces. C19
ashlar crenellation. Two light square headed window with moulded head and drip
on middle stage. Two light foiled window with foiled upper light to belfry.
Four bay aisled and clerestoried nave. Three light foiled and moulded head
windows. Three bay chancel has arched 2 light and diamond head window (cusped)
and a square headed window to south-east of 2 cusped lights with 4 quatrefoils
above. Central priest's door. Three light stepped east window with below a
carved rood in trefoiled niche within a blind oculus.
Interior: arcade capitals vary between trumpet to stiff-leaf. Ceiling has 4
centred arch headed and moulded ties braced from corbels, cusping in the gaps,
moulded purlins and rafters. large late medieval tomb chest in sanctuary.
Numerous wall memorials to the Calley family. Stone memorial (1707) to Edward
Hellish with bas relief of him and his family on corbel of winged death's head.
Large brass in sanctuary. Three fragments of carved medieval stone in east
wall of south aisle and, below, a small fragment of a shaft with foliate cap.
C18 tables of law painted on wood in south aisle- and C15 traceried bench end
below that. Painted screen with 6 saints and a rood panel now at back of north
aisle, late C19.
Well stocked graveyard with single and double headstones and some footstones,
especially to south and north, mostly C18. A number of chest tombs, the best
perhaps being that to Elizabeth, wife of William Fridge (sic) died 1774, 13
yds south of south-east aisle window.
Listing NGR: SU1871379971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings