This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6337 / 51°38'1"N
Longitude: -1.7389 / 1°44'20"W
OS Eastings: 418166
OS Northings: 192794
OS Grid: SU181927
Mapcode National: GBR 4TJ.K68
Mapcode Global: VHB37.T62G
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 26 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318336
Location: Hannington, Swindon, SN6
Civil Parish: Hannington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Highworth with Sevenhampton and Inglesham etc
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5/211 HANNINGTON HANNINGTON
Church of St John the Baptist
Part 2 second line should be amended to read "by Slater and Carpenter 1868-71..."
5410 HANNINGTON HANNINGTON
Church of St John
SU 19 SE 5/211 26.1.55
Small late C12 and early C13-type aisless country parish church largely rebuilt
by Slater and Carpenter 1968-71 reusing several old parts and C15 west tower.
Rubble with ashlar dressings and stone tile roof. Four and a half bay nave
with low buttresses and small lancet windows except for square headed east
window on east side. Norman south doorway of late type with one order of
chevron clasping roll and label of saltire crosses, billet impost and headstone
corbel over; projecting gabled porch. Reset north doorway - round headed
but early C15 mouldings. Two bay square ended chancel with perpendicular
square-headed 2-light tracery windows and a blocked priest's door. Perpendicular
east window with vestry to north which has tall chimney. Two stage embattled
west tower on moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, corner gargoyles; C15 west
door with drip and rosettes in spandrels.
Interior: C19 seating. Several Freke monuments. Rood stair at north-east
corner of nave. Reredos has scenes painted on tin in tracery panels. Stone
effigy, probably C14, of a woman with mitred heads flanking hers.
In the tower a large wall monument to Thomas Pile (1754) 3 black Corinthian
columns carry fragments of a segmental pediment and in the middle an urn.
Cherubs heads in panels between.
Listing NGR: SU1816692794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings