This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5617 / 51°33'42"N
Longitude: -1.8514 / 1°51'5"W
OS Eastings: 410395
OS Northings: 184773
OS Grid: SU103847
Mapcode National: GBR 3T1.0R7
Mapcode Global: VHB3K.V0LL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023470
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318692
Location: Swindon, SN5
Unitary Authority Ward: Lydiard and Freshbrook
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: West Swindon and the Lydiards
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 18 SW SWINDON
3/32 Church of St. Mary,
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, C17. Limestone rubble with some
ashlar. Stone slate roof and lead to aisles. Nave and north
aisle, C13, 3 simple chamfered arches on piers, the west arch
hollow chamfered. C15 chancel and tower, and south aisle with
porch. Arcade of 3 arches South chancel chapel probably also C15,
but much rebuilt as St. John family chapel in 1633. C19 vestry
west of porch. 3-light Perpendicular windows with square heads and
labels, 2-light to chancel. C18 east window and side openings. 3-
stage tower with C18 pierced parapets and pinnacles, with later
north stair. Bellstage windows perforated transennae. Angle
buttresses. 3-light clerestory, north side of nave, 3 dormers to
south. Sanctus bellcote.
Internally, nave plastered, with wall paintings, some C13. North
side; scenes from life of St. Thomas a Becket. On chancel arch;
cross with 6 busts and texts below. South wall; fragmentary
scenes. C17 pulpit. C19 box pews. Font, medieval, plain
octagonal bowl. C17 arcaded chancel screen, crested with royal
Stuart arms and supporters, probably 1633. Chancel: Communion
rail, c1700, excellent ironwork with monograms, possibly Italian.
Segmental plaster vault painted with sky and stars. North window,
of 2 lights, reset C15 glass in head. East window, c1633, large
figures and family arms. Side openings C19 glass. Reredos, C18,
figures on canvas. North Aisle: C17 reset dado panelling. C19 box
pews. Reset medieval glass in heads of all windows, in western,
Queen of Heaven, in eastern, Archangels. South Aisle: Panelled and
moulded ceiling. Medieval glass in all window heads, some
prophets. Wall painting above arcade. C17 panelled pews. South
Chapel: Divided from chancel by marbled columns and entablature,
and wooden railings with iron gates. Panelled and marbled ceiling
beams. Reset medieval glass in window heads. Tower: West window
1859 by Alexander Gibbs, hot. Monuments: Chancel: SIR JOHN ST.
JOHN, 1615, painted triptych on chalkstone base with arms.
Attributed to William Larkin. Family tree maintained to later
date, and within, figures of Sir John and wife. Grisaille
allegorical figures on removable panels added 1699. EDWARD ST.
JOHN, 1645, life sized gilded figure standing, armoured, in tent,
the drapes held open by attendants. Eagle crest. MILES, 1841, by
Reeves of Bath. South chapel: SIR JOHN ST. JOHN, c1635, and 2
wives, alabaster effigies, with 8 kneeling children and 4 recumbant
below. Arched canopy on 8 black marble columns, within railing.
SIR GILES & LADY MOMPESSON, 1633, sitting figures in arched niches,
bridged over south door. Crested and pedimented canopy on columns.
Inscription. JOHN, VISCOUNT ST. JOHN, 1748, by Rysbrack, coloured
marbles, richly carved arms, obelisk behind. 2 hatchments. Nave:
JANE HARDYMAN, 1761, stone wall tablet. WALTER HARDYMAN, 1774,
tablet. South aisle: NICHOLAS AND ELIZABETH SEYIHON (St. John)
1592. Earnest kneeling figures on table under arched canopy
carried on Ionic columns, symbols on soffite, inscription on
frieze. Arms. All within railings. Hon. JOHN ST. JOHN, 1793,
Chaste tablet by Lancashire of Bath. North aisle: ANN PLEYDELL,
1723, pedimented marble wall tablet. HENRY PLEYDELL, 1684. Slate
and marble arms. Brasses: Nave: WILLIAM AND HENRY KEMP, 1642 and
1648; YORKE OF BASSET DOWN 1650; SUSANNA YORKE, 1648; ANNA DANVERS
of Bainton, 1663. All with arms on separate brass. South chapel:
RICHARD CORHAM, 1670. Various stone and basalt ledger slabs.
Listing NGR: SU1039584773
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings