History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 9 Chest Tombs in Churchyard 3 Metres East of Chancel East Wall Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Lydiard and Freshbrook, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5617 / 51°33'42"N

Longitude: -1.8511 / 1°51'4"W

OS Eastings: 410415

OS Northings: 184773

OS Grid: SU104847

Mapcode National: GBR 3T1.0TF

Mapcode Global: VHB3K.V0RL

Entry Name: Group of 9 Chest Tombs in Churchyard 3 Metres East of Chancel East Wall Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 23 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023473

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318695

Location: Swindon, SN5

County: Swindon

Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish

Unitary Authority Ward: Lydiard and Freshbrook

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: West Swindon and the Lydiards

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Purton

Listing Text

CHURCH LANE,
SU 18 SW SWINDON
West Swindon
3/35 Group of 9 chest tombs in churchyard
3m east of chancel east wall
Church of St. Mary,
Lydiard Park
GV II

Group of 9 chest tombs in 2 rows. Late C18 to mid Cl9. All
limestone with moulded base and table and recessed corner
balusters, unless otherwise described. West row, from north to
south:-
a. FRANCIS KING, died 1808 and JOHN KING, 1857. Side panels with
coloured and gilded foliage and angels in low relief.
b. BETTY KING, died 1772, JANE KING (second wife) 1785, to which
has been added MARY ANN YORKE, 1883.
c. FRANCIS KING, died 1745. Plain box without corner decoration
and inscription on table. Also BRIDGET, his wife, died 1766.
d. Low chest with chamfered base and plain top. Inscription
illegible.
East row, from north to south:-
e. SUSANNA SHELDON, died 1806, ALEXANDER SHELDON, 1821, and JOHN
SHELDON, 1836.
f. RICHARD RUDLER, 1781 and MARGARET, his wife, 1784, SARAH
JOTHAM, 1805, and MARGARET RUDLER, 1828. Side panels with scrolls
and putti in low relief.
g. RICHARD DORE KING, died 1862, and ELIZABETH, 1869.
h. RICHARD DORE KING, died 1862, and SARAH SEPHHARD KING, 1896.
j. ELIZABETH CLARK, died 1811, ABRAHAM HUMPHRIES, 1858, hipped
table and Gothic end panels. Probably erected at the later date.


Listing NGR: SU1041584773

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.