History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Barnabas

A Grade II Listed Building in Gorse Hill and Pinehurst, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5724 / 51°34'20"N

Longitude: -1.7775 / 1°46'39"W

OS Eastings: 415515

OS Northings: 185971

OS Grid: SU155859

Mapcode National: GBR YRR.Q1

Mapcode Global: VHB3F.4QNZ

Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas

Listing Date: 17 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318718

Location: Swindon, SN2

County: Swindon

Unitary Authority Ward: Gorse Hill and Pinehurst

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Listing Text

CRICKLADE ROAD,
SU 18 NE SWINDON
Gorse Hill
2/59 Church of St. Barnabas
17.2.70
II

Anglican parish church. 1885, by J.P. Seddon. Rock-faced snecked
Swindon stone with limestone ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Lead
covered stair tower and sanctus bellcote. Nave and aisles, short
chancel with side chambers. South-west porch under lower 2 storeys
of incompleted tower. Opposite north-west porch. Paired lancets
between ashlar dressed pilasters, and lancets of clerestory
continued as blind arcade along chancel. East triple lancets to
chancel under continuous hood. Porch with early English style
doorway. 4 lancets to west end.
Interior: arcade of 5 bays, with further bay into chancel and half-
bay at west. Moulded arches on quatrefoil columns. Clerestory of
alternating columns and clusters on wall string supporting coved
hammerbeam boarded vault. Chancel with canvas-based wall paintings
of 1946-8 by Rev. John Perret. Trefoiled sedilia piscina and
priest's door. Octagonal limestone pulpit with arcade on grey
stone columns. Font at west end of nave; dog-toothed bowl with
surrounding trefoiled arcade. Aisles have west end lancets with
glass by Morris & Co. c1918.


Listing NGR: SU1551585971

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.