This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5616 / 51°33'41"N
Longitude: -1.7901 / 1°47'24"W
OS Eastings: 414648
OS Northings: 184764
OS Grid: SU146847
Mapcode National: GBR YPY.T9
Mapcode Global: VHB3L.X0JQ
Entry Name: Former model lodging house for the Great Western Railway
Listing Date: 17 February 1970
Last Amended: 23 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318750
Location: Swindon, SN1
Unitary Authority Ward: Central
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Swindon New Town
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/08/2014
SU 1484 NE
EMLYN SQUARE (east side),
Former model lodging house for the Great Western Railway
(Formerly listed as Great Western Railway Museum.
Previously listed as the Railway Museum in Faringdon Road)
Former model lodging house, 1849-1852 for GWR, converted to family hostel 1861, to Weslyan Chapel 1869-1959, and to Great Western Railway Museum 1962-2000. Since 2010 it has been a children's' activity centre. Ashlar limestone in black mortar, asbestos cement roof slates. 3 storey with 4 storey end bays, 9 bays to Emlyn Square, a central entrance under pitched and gabled porch added 1869. Buttresses to end towers, corbel table and parapet with stacks to roof. Ground floor trefoil-headed paired lights with transom, shouldered to first floor and second floor, latter in raised gables. Triple lights to end bays. Elevation to Faringdon Road similar, but added large central gable with lancets and gable lights between added square stair towers, returning by broaches to octagonal louvred turrets above second floor. Octagonal pyramid spire lets. Ground floor this elevation with C20 glazing and glazed porch brought out between towers. Interior altered to form chapel. 2 storey keeled cast iron columns supporting moulded panelled ceiling. West side 2 storey with gallery at first floor (Notes on the History of the Barracks, 1869, Ms in Swindon Reference Library).
Listing NGR: SU1463584763
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings