History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Rail Engineering Limited Swindon Works no 19 Shop, and No 20 Shop (North Bay) Old N Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Mannington and Western, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5629 / 51°33'46"N

Longitude: -1.7952 / 1°47'42"W

OS Eastings: 414290

OS Northings: 184905

OS Grid: SU142849

Mapcode National: GBR YP5.G2

Mapcode Global: VHB3D.TZS9

Entry Name: British Rail Engineering Limited Swindon Works no 19 Shop, and No 20 Shop (North Bay) Old N Shop

Listing Date: 18 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318816

Location: Swindon, SN2

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Mannington and Western

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon St Augustine

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Listing Text

RODBOURNE ROAD
SU 1484 NW SWINDON
BREL: Swindon Works
5/154
No 19 Shop, and No 20 Shop (north
bay) Old N Shop
18.5.84
GV II

Smiths turning shop, now machine shop, c1842, by D Gooch and I K Brunel. Coursed
squared rubble from Box tunnel, corrugated sheet roof. The west facade is of two
storeys and bays separated by pilasters, and with horizontal wooden boarding
between the windows. The windows mostly have their original glazing mullions and
transom below. 2-light with mullions above, each divided into vertical panes and
opening with central pivot.
Internally, the space is now full height, but evidence of the first floor remains
in a partition. The north end of the block has the original wooden roof trusses.
The remainder has later steel replacements. Apparently the best preserved of
the original buildings opened 2nd January 1843. One of an important group of
Victorian industrial buildings at the GWR works.


Listing NGR: SU1429084905

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.