This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5665 / 51°33'59"N
Longitude: -1.8015 / 1°48'5"W
OS Eastings: 413853
OS Northings: 185307
OS Grid: SU138853
Mapcode National: GBR YN7.W5
Mapcode Global: VHB3D.QWGJ
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 17 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318825
Location: Swindon, SN2
Unitary Authority Ward: Mannington and Western
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Swindon St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 18 NW SWINDON
1/163 Church of St Augustine
Anglican parish church. 1907, by W.A.H. Masters. Red brick with
interlocking red tile roof. Nave and apse with north vestry and
bellcote. South west porch. North European Romanesque style.
Round-headed lancets between short pilasters. Above, triple lancet
within shallow brick arches; brick corbel table over. Apse
polygonal with Lombardic arcading in slightly recessed panels.
Vestry with round east end. Pitched roof to bellcote between apse
Interior: Wide nave of 6 bays expressed as wall arcades. Pilasters
carrying open double purlin roof on bracketed queen posts. Raised
choir within body of church enclosed with wrought iron railings,
with salient pulpit and lectern. Railed sanctuary in apse. Font,
limestone, arcaded in Romanesque style with 10 personified virtues.
Glass, some stained of 1931-2. In west one-and-a-half bays, late
C20 screen enclosing ceiled hall. A successful design.
Listing NGR: SU1385385307
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings