This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0706 / 51°4'14"N
Longitude: -1.7958 / 1°47'44"W
OS Eastings: 414404
OS Northings: 130157
OS Grid: SU144301
Mapcode National: GBR 517.W7Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.07K
Entry Name: The Post Office
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318922
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
The Post Office
SU 1430 SW 1/415
Corner site with Chipper Lane qv. 1907 by W T Oldrieve. Large ashlar faced
building in restrained Cotswold Tudor style, crisp detailing. 2 storeys and
semi-attic. Plinth. Moulded strings in part to second floor and carried
across with step up to first floor, returned on same level to Chipper Lane
front. Steep pitch gable end slate roofs. Tall stone chimney stacks chanelled
(rather Voysey). Small lead domed bell cot on ridge. Gable ends with saddlestones.
Stone gabled dormers breaking through eaves. Slightly a symmetrical fenestration,
stone mullioned and transomed leaded casements, taller on ground floor and
wider towards corner on Castle Street front. Main doorway has 4 centred arch
with carved spandrels, 3 lights set over. Similar but smaller secondary entrance
Large ground floor windows to Chipper Lane, double transomed with moulded
ledges over. Later extension to this front in rather French C17 style, ashlar
faced, 6 bays, heavy cornice, pedimented dormers, 2 storeys and attic.
Listing NGR: SU1440430157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings