This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0704 / 51°4'13"N
Longitude: -1.7953 / 1°47'43"W
OS Eastings: 414436
OS Northings: 130137
OS Grid: SU144301
Mapcode National: GBR 517.WF5
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.0F3
Entry Name: 26-34, Chipper Lane
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Last Amended: 24 January 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318950
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
676/1/271 CHIPPER LANE
12-OCT-72 (South side)
(Formerly listed as:
Row of houses. c.1788.
MATERIALS: Constructed of red brick on a raised stone plinth, moulded wooden eaves cornice and steeply pitched hipped roofs of plain clay tiles.
PLAN: Three storey, double depth plan.
EXTERIOR: Three storey row of five houses with a single storey link between No. 32 and No. 34. Steeply pitched hipped roof with plain clay tiles and moulded wooded eaves cornice. The sash windows retain their glazing bars and flush architrave. The blind windows all have vitrified chequer brickwork.
No. 26 is one bay wide with a six-panelled entrance door with moulded cornice hood. The rectangular fanlight above has been blocked.
No. 28 is three bays wide with the remains of a late-C19 shop front to the ground floor. There is one blind window to the second floor.
No. 30 is four bays wide with blind windows to the second bay. The door has been removed but the moulded cornice hood remains. To the fourth bay is a large carriage entrance which appears to cut through the window above.
No. 32 is four bays wide with blind windows to the second bay. It has a six panelled entrance door with rectangular fanlight above with marginal glazing and a diamond centre, and moulded cornice hood above. The rainwater head is dated 1788.
No. 34 is three bays wide with a C20 neo-Georgian shop front to ground floor. Between Nos. 32 and 34 is a single storey link block (No. 32a) constructed of red brick with stone coping to the parapet. Neo-Georgian shop front to east and single door to west within an arched opening (formerly this was a bull's eye window). No. 32a is of lesser importance.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire (1985) 449
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: Nos. 26-34 is recommended for designation at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* A good example of a Georgian terrace with a handsome, well-proportioned facade.
* The relatively complete group which retains good architectural detailing including sash windows, six panelled doors and moulded wooden eaves cornice
Listing NGR: SU1443630133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings