This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0662 / 51°3'58"N
Longitude: -1.7948 / 1°47'41"W
OS Eastings: 414477
OS Northings: 129669
OS Grid: SU144296
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.32P
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.DMC
Entry Name: 18, the Close
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023594
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318986
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 1429 NW 3/43 28.2.52.
Originally Common Hall of the Vicars Choral, early canonical house (bequeathed
1319-20) of which these are some remains. The front part of house recased
and heightened in the early C19. 3 storeys, stucco faced. Flat eaves to
hipped slate roof. Unsymnmetrical front with projecting L H wing. Entrance
below road level. 2 windows to upper floors. 1 window on ground floor and
6-panel door at R H with panelled reveals and doorcase of Doric pilasters
simplified entablature and moulded pediment. The R H part has 1 window 3
panes wide on second floor and 4 panes wide first and ground floors. All
windows have drip moulds. To rear early ruing 2 storeys tile hung with gable
end old tile roof, restored, mostly C16/Cl7 but the west wall has section
of original material, flint stone, rubble and diagonally set tiles. The wing
has some exposed beams 2 bays of roof structure with intact windbraces and
purlins, one collar.
All the listed buildings in The Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1447629669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings