This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0666 / 51°3'59"N
Longitude: -1.7966 / 1°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 414351
OS Northings: 129711
OS Grid: SU143297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.2LZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.KWZ
Entry Name: 22, The Close
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318997
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Late C18 extension and partial recasing of earlier building, probably medieval
foundations and originally one outbuilding of "Aula Le Stage" No 21- 21A The
Close. 2 storeys red brick. The rear north elevation with tile hung 1st
floor and old stone rubble and flint on ground floor. Old tile roof hipped
to left and gabled to right. South entrance front has 4 casements 1st floor,
left hand pair original leaded, others altered. 3 casements on ground floor,
one leaded others modern. One glazed and panelled door and plain door with
hood on shaped brackets. West gable end has vitreous brick panel 1st floor
and sash window with glazing bars on ground floor. The east gable end has
base of stone flint and brick external chimney, now flush with wall as house
was extended by one bay during late C18 alterations.
Interior: staircase with simple "Chinese" pattern balusters. Some exposed
beams on ground floor. 5 bay roof, crown post, some members removed on renewed.
Some bricks on south front have carved dates of 1775 and 1790, no doubt contemporary
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1435129711
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings