This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0668 / 51°4'0"N
Longitude: -1.7986 / 1°47'54"W
OS Eastings: 414207
OS Northings: 129739
OS Grid: SU142297
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.22F
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.K3Q
Entry Name: Hungerford Chantry
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023614
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319030
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
No 54 (Hungerford Chantry)
SU 1429 NW 3/18 28.2.52.
Original house on site was residence of Constantine de Middeval (+1294), later
occupation by Cathedral Choristers. Assigned as Chantry by Lord Hungerford
on his death in 1459. 1st reference to present structure 1794. Mid to later
C18 building. 2 storeys and attic. Brick with raised string over 1st floor
windows. Plain parapet with stone coping and old tile roof. 5 windows with
moulded frames on 1st floor. 4 similar on ground floor and 6-panel central
door with architrave surround, plain frieze, moulded dentilled cornice and
Interior has good staircase with closed string, turned balusters, moulded
handrail. A newel turning service stair to rear. Ground floor west front
room has C17/C18 probably reset panelling, floor to ceiling, small dentil
cornice fluted pilasters. The fireplace in this room has 4 centred stone
arch chamfered, remains of original building? In outhouse to rear a section
of linen-fold panelling. In attic hall late C17 or early C18 panelling.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1420629741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings