History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The South Canonry, Now Bishop's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Salisbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0617 / 51°3'42"N

Longitude: -1.7995 / 1°47'58"W

OS Eastings: 414147

OS Northings: 129170

OS Grid: SU141291

Mapcode National: GBR 51F.7W9

Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.YK8

Entry Name: The South Canonry, Now Bishop's House

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023632

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319066

Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Salisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Salisbury

Listing Text

THE CLOSE
1.
1594
No 71 (The South Canonry,
now Bishop's House)
SU 1429 SW 5/4 28.2.52.
II GV
2.
Earlier canonical house on this site. The building was severely damaged in
tile Civil War and successively rebuilt circa 1665, major alterations in 1778,
early C19 and 1889.
2 storey. Red brick on stone plinth. Bracketed and moulded stone cornice,
broken over slight central projection with pediment. Old tile roof swept
out over eaves and with sloping ridge of pediment carried high up main sloped
roof.
5 windows on lst floor, the central with bracketed stone cill and stone architrave
surround. 4 taller windows on ground floor. All windows with triple keystones.
6-Panel central door with plain fanlight in arched stone opening with moulded
surround with stone doorcase of pilasters, broken cornice and broken pediment.
Narrow side windows flanking doorway with stone surrounds, probably later insertic
The house has C19 additions on south west side, and west front redone 1889.
Earlier features inside: room to right of entrance has moulded beams and a
large boss with arms of Henry Seward circa 1640. To right of main front
remains of C17/C18 service wing only part wall of old stone flint and brick
with C19 lean-to brick additions on west side.

Former stables of No 71 see under Nos 71A and 71B

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1414729168

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.