This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0621 / 51°3'43"N
Longitude: -1.7943 / 1°47'39"W
OS Eastings: 414509
OS Northings: 129217
OS Grid: SU145292
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.969
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.SXP
Entry Name: St Elizabeth's Convent and St Osmund's Roman Catholic Primary School
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319131
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(St Elizabeth's Convent
& St Osmund's Roman Catholic
SU 1429 SE 6/361 28.2.52.
The Convent house is C18 altered circa 1800. 3 storeys colourwashed brick
with projecting stone bands between storeys. Moulded stone cornice and blocking
course. Gable end slate roof. 2 tripartite sash windows flanking central
single window on upper floors and 2 tripartite sashes flanking entrances on
ground floor. All have glazing bars intact. Central door of 6 fielded panels
with radiating semi-circular fanlight under good Doric porch of columns and
wall pilasters, entablature with large dentilled cornice and moulded dentil
open curved pediment hood. 2 storey extension of one bay with old tile roof
to left, one flush framed sash each floor, 4 panes wide. 2 storey early to
mid C19 painted brick south wing with hipped slate roof, tripartite sashes,
one each floor and projecting rendered section also with hipped slate roof.
To left and projecting level with street a 2 storey red bric k chapel block
on rendered plinth, mid Cl9. Brick band between storeys with fleur-de-lis
ornament returned to south gable end. Hipped slate roof with bracketed eaves.
3 pointed sash windows to both floors facing street, rendered arches. South
gable end has similar windows, one on 1st floor and ground floor right. In
centre a pointed arched door also with rendered arch.
St Osmund's School adjoins to north. Circa 1890 related to St Osmund's Church
qv. A 2 storey block of flint and ashlar blocks. Ashlar quoins (possible
reuse of older material). Moulded string over ground floor windows. Hipped
tile roof. Ashlar chimney stacks over eaves. 4 windows to both floors, stone
mullioned and transomed of 3 and 2 lights. To rear a single storey with dormers
in similar style.
Listing NGR: SU1450929217
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings