This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0688 / 51°4'7"N
Longitude: -1.7996 / 1°47'58"W
OS Eastings: 414134
OS Northings: 129959
OS Grid: SU141299
Mapcode National: GBR 517.V4P
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.BPH
Entry Name: General Infirmary
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023669
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319141
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 1429 NW 3/468
Main centre block 1767-71 by John Wood of Bath. Very much enlarged 1845 and
1869 and modern extensions. Original centre block 4 storeys red brick. Stone
frieze with inscription: "General Infirmary supported by voluntary Contribution
1767". Stone cornice, originally with crenellation above. 7 windows, recessed
sashes, glazing bars intact 2nd floor and ground floor, some on 1st floor.
Low broad centred doorway with engaged Doric columns, broken entablature and
open moulded pediment, stone. Wings of 1845 and 1869 with half octagon bays,
hipped slate roofs. South front retains crenellated parapet, also of 7 windows,
most of glazing altered. Interior retains one ward in original state and
chapel with fine reredos consisting of 2 tablets of Laws in frame of engaged
fluted Composite columns, moulded entablature and pediment with modillions
and dentil and egg and dart mouldings. Guilded spray in tympanum.
Listing NGR: SU1413429958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings