This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0823 / 51°4'56"N
Longitude: -1.8567 / 1°51'23"W
OS Eastings: 410137
OS Northings: 131448
OS Grid: SU101314
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZT.5DH
Mapcode Global: FRA 7608.6HP
Entry Name: Magdalene Hospital
Listing Date: 8 June 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319226
Location: Wilton, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: Wilton
Built-Up Area: Wilton (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wilton St Mary and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5409 KING STREET
Nos 22 to 32 (even)
SU 13 SW 1/101
Dated 1831. Designed 1828 by Edward Blore for Lady Pembroke in Tudor-Gothic
2 storeys gault brick almshouses with coped gabled front to road. A pair
of gabled breaks to left, 2 small stone gables to centre 1st floor windows
and a gabled break to right. Gables are coped and weathered with finials
and kneelers. Five 2-light stone mullion windows on 1st floor, with moulded
labels to breaks. 6 windows on ground floor, three 3-light and a 2-light
stone mullion windows with moulded labels, 2 canted bays with stone hipped
roofs and 4 lights. Centre recess flanked by facing porches, also gabled
and with finials, Tudor arch doorways with sunk spandrels and beaded doors.
1½ storey extension to left with entrance to No 22 under moulded label (beaded
door). No 32 entered from south-east gable end, two 2-light stone mullion
windows with moulded labels on 1st floor, projecting stone hipped roof bay
on ground floor with central doorway (like No 22's) and flanking windows.
Gabled panel above door with inscribed plaque in Gothic letters
"This Hospital of Saint Mary Magdalen of Wilton was rebuilt on its
present site in fulfillment of the intentions of George Augustus
11th Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery by Catherine his widow and sole
executrix A. Dni. 1831".
Slate roof with 3 large ridge chimneys and 1 diagonally shafted wall chimney
with stepped base adjacent to No 22.
3½ ft street wall of gault brick with weathered stone capping and 2 sets
of low gatepiers with pyramidal caps.
Listing NGR: SU1013731448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings