This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0341 / 51°2'2"N
Longitude: -1.7221 / 1°43'19"W
OS Eastings: 419580
OS Northings: 126118
OS Grid: SU195261
Mapcode National: GBR 51X.3FP
Mapcode Global: FRA 768D.4WL
Entry Name: Matrons' College Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023779
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319383
Location: Alderbury, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Alderbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Alderbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 12 NE ALDERBURY CASTLE LANE
(east side) Whaddon
5/4 Matrons' College Farmhouse
Farmhouse. C18. English bond brick with stone and flint bands,
tiled roof with brick stacks. T-plan with C18 extension. 2 storey
with attic, 2-window. Entrance door is on left side of projecting
wing of 'T'; 6-panelled door in moulded case with cornice, 16-pane
sash to right and 12-pane sash to first floor. Gable-end of this
wing has central projecting stack and narrow casements either side
on three floors. Main range has C20 casement on ground floor to
left and right of wing, with C19 casement to first floor on right.
Left return has one 16-pane sash on two floors. To rear is
rendered wing of late C18 with planked door and cast-iron
Interior: C18 newel staircase, chamfered beams with ogee stops to
ground floor. Cellar below parlour. Probably a late C18 rebuild
of an earlier building, endowed by Matrons' College, The Close,
Salisbury which was founded 1682 by Seth Ward. (Unpublished
records of R.C.H.M. (England), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU1958026118
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings