This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0337 / 51°2'1"N
Longitude: -1.825 / 1°49'30"W
OS Eastings: 412365
OS Northings: 126046
OS Grid: SU123260
Mapcode National: GBR 51S.1DR
Mapcode Global: FRA 762D.0TM
Entry Name: The Manor
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Last Amended: 28 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319451
Location: Coombe Bissett, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Coombe Bissett
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Coombe Bisset with Homington St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 12 NW COOMBE BISSETT HOMINGTON VILLAGE
4/71 The Manor
(formerly listed as Homington
Detached house. Late C16 refaced c.1700 and rear wing added c.
1730, 1930s service wing to rear left. C18 Flemish bond to front
and timber-framing to rear of C16 range, 1730s wing in header bond,-
tiled roof with brick stacks. L-plan, with C20 additions forming a
'U' shape. 2-storey and attic, 4-window front. Planked door in
weatherboarded gabled porch to right of centre. To right is one 2-
light casement, to left is tripartite sash and 2-light casement,
all with segmental-arched heads. First floor has two 2-light
casements and two single casements, 2-brick plat band. Attic has
three hipped dormers of C20. Right return is chalk and brick with
tile-hung gable, two 2-light casements to ground floor three 2-
light casements to first floor and one 2-light casement to attic.
Left return is garden front of C18 wing, 2-storey, 5-window.
Ground floor to left has one 12-pane sash, blocked central door and
C20 half-glazed door, first floor has 3-brick string course with
bullnose bricks to lowest course, three sashes. Coved eaves
cornice. All sashes with thick glazing bars and flat arches with
keystones. Right part of left return is C16 range with two 12-pane
sashes to ground floor and two 2-light casements to first and
attic floors. Rear has C20 single-storey extension to left,
central part of C16 range has timber-framed first floor with one 2-
light casement and C20 lean-to to ground floor, C18 wing to right
has 2-span roof with external stack, with French windows and sashes
to first floor, attached is C20 conservatory.
Interior: 4-bay timber-framed C16 range has chamfered beams with
concave stops, former central open fireplace now removed, west
fireplace with cambered lintel and chamfered stone jambs, planked
doors with 'L' or butterfly hinges. 1730s wing has doors with
fielded panels, ground floor drawing room has fine plaster ceiling
with rococo centre-piece, very similar to one in Mompesson House
Salisbury, and fielded panelling above moulded dado rail, stairs to
first floor of wing with moulded dado and cornice. In C17 and C18
probably owned by Wyndham family who may have added west wingc.
1730. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU1236526046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings