This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0341 / 51°2'2"N
Longitude: -1.7852 / 1°47'6"W
OS Eastings: 415154
OS Northings: 126102
OS Grid: SU151261
Mapcode National: GBR 51T.5FP
Mapcode Global: FRA 764D.4B2
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319531
Location: Odstock, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Odstock
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Odstock with Nunton and Bodenham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 12 NE ODSTOCK ODSTOCK VILLAGE
5/150 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C12, C13 and C14, with remodelling of 1870
by J. Fowler of Louth. Rendered flint nave with limestone and
flint chequers to tower and east end, tiled roof with coped verges
and cross finials. Consists of 3-bay nave, chancel, west tower and
north porch. C19 porch is timber-framed on flint and stone plinth,
the inner doorway has a double-chamfered pointed archway. North
side of nave has one tall chamfered lancet and a pair of tall
lancets with a buttress between. North side chancel has one
chamfered square-headed window with a round-arched window at a
lower height. East end has angle buttresses and three stepped
lancets. South side chancel has two tall lancets with a buttress
between. South side of nave has one pair of lancets, a buttress
and a single lancet, with a double-chamfered pointed doorway to the
left. 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses; west window is a
pointed arch with two cusped lancets and hood mould, above is
single pointed window and bell stage has 2-light cusped C16 style
window to south and west sides and a single C16 style window to
north. North-east side of tower has hexagonal stair turret with
single lancet on north face.
Interior: plastered walls and widely splayed windows. C14 double-
chamfered pointed arch at base of tower with octagonal responds and
capitals, north side of tower has Tudor-arched doorway and evidence
of a removed floor with stone corbels and a Tudor-arched doorway.
Roofs of nave and chancel are braced collar-rafter roofs with no
bay divisions. Chancel arch is double-chamfered pointed with
cylindrical half-shafts and capitals of C13, polychrome tiled floor
in chancel. Fittings include a finely carved C16 pulpit with
inscription to Elizabeth I, 1580; cylindrical font is probably C13,
at west end nave. Pews and choir stalls are Victorian. Memorials
include a C14 cusped arch in the south wall of nave, with low tomb
with figure incised on lid. At west end of nave is C16 monument
with Ionic columns supporting a frieze and cornice with finials and
armourial shields in relief below: the inscriptions refer to the
Webb family during the C18, eg Maria Webb died 1765. East window
has unsigned late C19 stained glass.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: SU1515426102
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings