History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alley Cottage Attached to North Side of Barford Park Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Downton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0024 / 51°0'8"N

Longitude: -1.7419 / 1°44'30"W

OS Eastings: 418208

OS Northings: 122583

OS Grid: SU182225

Mapcode National: GBR 528.4FM

Mapcode Global: FRA 767G.H7B

Entry Name: Alley Cottage Attached to North Side of Barford Park Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023859

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319567

Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

DOWNTON BARFORD LANE
SU 12 SE
(west side)
4/8 Alley Cottage attached to north
side of Barford Park Farmhouse

GV II

Cottage and stable. CD 1695 incised on keystone over window on
front, converted to farm cottage early C19. English bond brick,
tiled hipped roof, brick stacks. Single storey and attic, 3
windows. Planked door in beaded case to left, cross window to
centre with dated keystone, blocked door to left and inserted
doorway and C19 casement to right. Three gablets with 2-light
casements to attic. Right return has inserted planked door, 3-
light cast-iron casements and small casements. Rear outshut with
double gabled roof, central planked door in chamfered case and 2-
light and 1-light cast-iron casements. Valley between gables has
tile-hung extension.
Interior has planked doors, C17 newel stairs with splat balusters
and plank and muntin partition below hand rail, C18 beaded
fireplace and doorcase to north side, Initials CD are of Sir
Charles Duncombe who bought the Barford Park Estate in 1690;
Barford House was demolished 1815.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)


Listing NGR: SU1820822583

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.