History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Downton Church of England (Controlled) Primary School

A Grade II Listed Building in Downton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9933 / 50°59'35"N

Longitude: -1.7531 / 1°45'11"W

OS Eastings: 417423

OS Northings: 121570

OS Grid: SU174215

Mapcode National: GBR 528.MM1

Mapcode Global: FRA 766H.BTG

Entry Name: Downton Church of England (Controlled) Primary School

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023886

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319630

Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

DOWNTON GRAVEL CLOSE
SU 1721
(west side)
5/71 Downton C of E (Controlled)
Primary School

II

Board school, now primary school. 1895. Flemish bond brick with
limestone dressings, tiled roof, brick stacks. E-plan. Single
storey, ten windows. Projecting gable to left of centre has
elliptical-arched doorway with 2-light mullioned window over, to
left is 3-light mullioned and transomed window in Tudor-arched
opening with traceried panel over in gable, with date 1895. To
left and right are groups of sashes with pivot windows; the centre
of each group has hipped gablet over. To right is projecting gable
with groups of sashes with stone mullions and transoms. Stepped
eaves course, saddleback coping to gables. Lead and cast-iron
cylindrical vents to ridge of roof have conical cappings, brick
stacks have good decorated pots. Octagonal limestone belfry over
front door has traceried and chamfered openings and ogee roof with
weathervane. Left and right returns have similar groups of
sashes, with stone mullions and transoms to left return. To rear
are three gabled wings with groups of tall sashes and pivot-
windows, all with cambered flat arches and keystones, loop vents
over. Coverd yards between the wings have corrugated-iron arched
roofs on cast-iron piers.
Interior has planked doors and glazed sliding partitions between
larger rooms. Partly exposed roof timbers on stone corbels. A
good, unaltered example of a Board School, founded after the
Elementary Education Act of 1870.


Listing NGR: SU1742321570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.