History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Courthouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Downton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9919 / 50°59'30"N

Longitude: -1.7522 / 1°45'8"W

OS Eastings: 417484

OS Northings: 121419

OS Grid: SU174214

Mapcode National: GBR 528.MV3

Mapcode Global: FRA 766H.C57

Entry Name: The Courthouse

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023905

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319677

Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Charlton

Listing Text

DOWNTON SOUTH LANE
SU 1721
(east side)
5/118
The Courthouse
23/3/60 (formerly listed as Borough House)

II*

Detached house. Dated 1673 on stone corbels on front and rear
walls and interior. English bond brick, tiled roof, gable-end
brick stacks. L-plan. 2-storey, 2-window front. Planked door
with moulded architrave and cornice, to left of centre, to right
are two 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned windows and to left is
one 2-light, all with hoodmoulds. 3-brick plat band to first
floor; three 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned windows. Wooden
modillioned eaves cornice. Two 2-light casements to raking
dormers. Coped verges to roof with kneelers. Stepped brick
stacks. To right is single-storey projecting extension; C18, with
half-hipped roof. Left return has late C17 lean-to extension with
pair of leaded windows, first floor has two leaded oculi. Right
return has one 2-light mullioned window to ground floor, 3-brick
plat band to first floor and attic level; oculus to first floor and
attic. Rear has three 2-light mullioned windows to ground and
first floors, 3-brick plat band is carried over moulded stone
oculus lighting stairs. Modillioned eaves cornice. Two 2-light
casements to raking dormers. Lean-to to right has 2-light
mullioned window to ground floor and pair of leaded lights to first
floor.
Interior retains good C17 features; large stone Tudor-arched
fireplace in large room to right of door, open fireplace in smaller
room has chamfered timber lintel with bar and runout stops.
Central stairs are boxed-in by fine oak plank and muntin partitions
which rise to attic, vase-turned balusters to landing. Planked
door with strap hinges to attic. 5-bay roof has two tiers of butt
purlins. Stone corbels inside the west and east walls of large
room correspond with those on exterior walls; 1673/ Burgh Manor.
Founded by Sir Joseph Ashe as a grammar school for twelve boys, in
1673, endowed with ?100 and the profits from two sheep fairs in
Downton.
(VCH, Wiltshire Vol XI 1980, page 51; Unpublished records of RCHM
(England), Salisbury).


Listing NGR: SU1748421419

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.