History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Landford Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Landford, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9803 / 50°58'49"N

Longitude: -1.6499 / 1°38'59"W

OS Eastings: 424671

OS Northings: 120157

OS Grid: SU246201

Mapcode National: GBR 63X.HP8

Mapcode Global: FRA 76FJ.91F

Entry Name: Landford Lodge

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023914

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319705

Location: Landford, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Landford

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Landford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Landford

Listing Text

LANDFORD BARROWS LANE
SU 22 SW
(north side)
7/146 Landford Lodge
23/3/60

GV II

Detached country house. Late C18. Flemish bond brick, hipped
tiled roof, brick stacks. Square plan with attached services
around square courtyard. 2-storey with attic, 7-bay front.
Central 3 bays have applied order of Ionic pilasters with pediment,
central double doors with fielded panels, and fanlight have
pediment over on pilasters, to either side are three 12-pane
sashes. First floor has seven sashes. Moulded cornice and plain
blocking course to roof; attic has four raking dormers with 6-pane
sashes. Right return has 12-pane sashes and glazed door to ground
floor, four sashes to first floor, two raking dormers with 2-light
casements, plain lead rainwater heads and downpipes. Left return
has glazed door and 9-pane and 12-pane sashes, some blind windows,
two raking dormers to roof. All sashes have flat-arched heads.
Rear has attached service block, around square courtyard, three
blocked round-arched openings on side nearest house, 3-light
casements to other sides, brick dentilled eaves cornice to hipped
tiled roof.
Interior: fittings are mostly of early C19; doors with 6 fielded
panels in moulded architraves, stairs with turned balusters, top-
lit by dome on fluted drum. C19 classical marble fireplaces, one
in dining room with caryatids. Some C18 fireplaces with beading,
in north rooms. History: rebuilt by Sir William Heathcote of
Hursley and sold 1776. Most of the present house dates from after
1776 when rebuilding work completed by Charles Spooner. Early C19
interior dates from occupancy by Greatheed family.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury)


Listing NGR: SU2467120157

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.