History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Redlynch, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9805 / 50°58'49"N

Longitude: -1.7005 / 1°42'1"W

OS Eastings: 421123

OS Northings: 120164

OS Grid: SU211201

Mapcode National: GBR 52J.GWS

Mapcode Global: FRA 76BJ.7C6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319732

Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Redlynch

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Redlynch St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Redlynch

Listing Text

REDLYNCH CHURCH HILL
SU 22 SW
(north side)
7/199 Church of St. Mary

II


Anglican parish church. 1837, restored 1902. Probably by James
Deane. Buff-coloured Flemish bond brick, Welsh slate roof. Plan:
nave, short chancel, south porch. Porch has Tudor-arched doorway
with cusped spandrels, double studded doors, coped verge to gable
and pinnacles. South side of nave to right has two 2-light Tudor-
arched windows with cusped lights and transoms. Diagonal
buttresses to corners, coped verges with kneelers to roof. South
and north sides of chancel have one 2-light Tudor-arched window
with cusped lights, to east is plain 2-light pointed window,
probably restored. North side of nave has four 2-light Tudor-
arched windows with cusped lights, buttresses between. West end
has 4-light Tudor-arched window, above is gilded clock face and
limestone octagonal bellcote with ogee capping and pointed
openings.
Interior: porch has inner double doors with arched panels. Nave
has 5-bay roof with vertical struts to principals from tie-beam,
with cusped bracing at principals like pointed arches. Plain
plaster walls, blind pointed arch over door. West gallery mostly
dismantled 1951, but stairs with stick balusters and doors with
arched panels remain. Original fittings include octagonal
limestone font at west end of nave, stone altar and reredos with
traceried panels and ogee hoodmould over east window with pointed
hoodmoulds and attached shafts to niches either side. Polychrome
tiled floor to chancel. Pews and choir stalls are late Victorian.
Some good stained glass to members of Morrison family of Hamptworth
Lodge (q.v.), the north and south chancel windows by Clayton and
Bell, 1911, the east window unsigned of 1895. Rest of windows are
diamond leaded. The church was founded as a chapel to Downton,
Redlynch being part of the large Downton parish, until 1895.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).


Listing NGR: SU2112320164

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.