This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1351 / 51°8'6"N
Longitude: -1.7195 / 1°43'10"W
OS Eastings: 419719
OS Northings: 137353
OS Grid: SU197373
Mapcode National: GBR 50K.Q37
Mapcode Global: VHC31.4QTP
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023956
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319959
Location: Idmiston, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Idmiston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Idmiston with Porton Gomeldon St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
IDMISTON CHURCH ROAD
SU 13 NE
3/66 Church of All Saints
Redundant Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, restored
1866-7 by J.L. Pearson. Flint with interspersed limestone, and
limestone dressings. Tiled chancel and porch, lead to nave and
aisles. Nave with north and south aisles clasping west tower. Two
storey north porch, and chancel. Cinquefoiled square headed
windows, 3-light to nave, 3 light to clerestorey, all with label
moulds, but a 3-light earlier panelled Perpendicular window to east
of south aisle. C13 chancel has north door and lancets, three
close spaced lancets at east end. Nave and aisles have ashlar
parapets with cavetto string at base, interrupted by carved stone
hopper heads. Porch has a 4-centred arch with quatrefoiled
spandrels and label with facetted drop terminals. Two-light window
to parvise over, and gable wheel cross. Tower C12 with pilaster
buttresses and without offsets, the upper section rebuilt in C19
with three simple bell openings each side and a shingled pyramidal
spire. Two-light west window. Uninterpreted crude incisions on
chancel quoins and bench mark on tower.
Interior: Inner north door 4-centred with quatrefoiled spandrels.
Nave C13 replacing a presumed C12 unaisled nave. Arcade of 2 bays,
2 chamfered order arches on clustered columns with round capitals
and raised bases, constructed in alternating contrasting Hurdcott
and Chilmark stones. High door to rood screen on south side. Roof
of 3 bays, C15, with moulded and traceried brackets on large carved
corbels, tie beams and moulded ridge piece, purlins and
intermediate principal rafters. North aisle has piscina and
similar C15 roof, also on fine corbels, all relating to widening of
aisles and raising of nave in a major building phase. Simpler roof
to south aisle, which also has piscina, but on north side. Chancel
has C19 trussed rafter roof with scissor braces. Small piece of
torus moulding of earliest phase survives over built-in pilaster
buttress on north side of tower.
Fittings: Pulpit, C19, Bath stone, with ballflower cornice and
carved panels. Font, medieval, a Purbeck limestone octagonal bowl
raised on step with stand for officiant. Altar rail, mahogany on
iron supports, reading desk and pews all C19, the pews with simple
iron candlestick with brass ornament.
Monuments: Chancel: North side, a Carrara tablet with cornice
shaped top, and curved apron, to Rev John Bowle, died 1788. South
side, a Carrara wall tablet with supporting scrolls, cornice with
finials and central coloured shield, and apron with acanthus
leaves. To Elizabeth, wife of Rev J. Bowle, died 1759. Also
further 3 tablets, to Elisabeth Bowle, daughter of 1st, died 1769;
Richard Bowle, son of Bishop of Rochester, died 1678 and another
Rev J. Bowle, white tablet on grey, with pyramid and arms, all
supported on mutules; he died 1836, and later family. In north
aisle, 4 wall monuments, at east end, a slate tablet in limestone
architrave with broken pediment clasping mantled arms. Further
arms with crowned feathers in apron, to Mary Chaundler, died 1680.
At west end (a) marble tablet with cornice and apron, to John
Andrews of Porton, died 1766, (b) Christian Clemens, died 1754, and
Rev Thomas Clemens, died 1747. In south aisle, west wall, a C17
monument, a niche flanked by red marbled columns carrying
entablature crowned by mantled and crested arms. Within the niche,
a cloaked figure of Giles Rowbach, died 1633, kneeling before an
open book on a stand.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, Church guide 1985).
Listing NGR: SU1971637348
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings