History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shrewton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1931 / 51°11'35"N

Longitude: -1.9054 / 1°54'19"W

OS Eastings: 406708

OS Northings: 143773

OS Grid: SU067437

Mapcode National: GBR 3YD.52X

Mapcode Global: VHB58.X8KP

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 18 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023959

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319864

Location: Shrewton, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Shrewton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shrewton

Listing Text

SHREWTON MADDINGTON STREET
SU 04 SE
(off south side)
3/256 Church of St. Mary
18/2/58
GV II*
Anglican parish church, now redundant. C13, C14 and C15 with Cl7
rebuilding of nave, tower, chancel and south transept, restorations
of 1843 and of 1846 by T. H. Wyatt and D. Brandon. Limestone and
flint cheqeurs, flint rubble tower, rebuilt in ashlar, tiled and
slated roof. Consists of nave, south aisle, south transept,
chancel, west tower and north porch. Gabled north porch of 1603
has diagonal buttresses and coped verges, Tudor-arched doorway with
cyma and hollow mouldings. Nave has deep moulded plinth and to
right a 3-light cusped square-headed window with hoodmould, to left
is 4-light square-headed window and 2-light cusped square-headed
window, both with hoodmoulds, parapet with saddleback coping.
Chancel has two lancets to north side and same parapet as nave,
east end has three C19 lancets, south side has chamfered pointed
priest's doorway with planked door, either side is lancet. East
wall of mid-Cl7 south transept has one 2-light cusped square-headed
window with hoodmould, south side has 2-light C19 pointed window
with hoodmould. South aisle has blocked Tudor-arched doorway to
right and one 3-light and one 2-light cusped C16-style windows,
with hoodmoulds, west end of aisle has single lancet. 3-stage tower
retains C13 walling on north side, rest rebuilt 1637; 2-light
cusped square-headed window to west, string course to bell stage
which has 2-light cusped pointed window with stone louvres to
north, south and west faces, shallow-pitched roof.
Interior: Porch of 1603 has pointed barrel-vaulted roof with
plaster ribs and rose bosses, pointed chamfered inner doorway with
good planked door with strap hinges. 5-bay nave has pointed
barrel-vaulted roof and north wall of 1603 dated by a corbel on
north side, curved principals date from 1843 repair. Double-
chamfered tower arch, and above a panel with strapwork, and date
1637; tower rebuilt. 5-bay south arcade has pointed double-
chamfered arches on octagonal piers, the two western bays are early
C14, the rest are C15, nave rebuilt 1846. South transept has
pointed roof and reset Cl7 communion rails with alternate splat and
turned balusters, as partition. Chancel arch of 1846, chancel roof
is 3-bay with collars and cusped wind-braces, restoration of 1699
by Sir Stephen Fox and 1852, possibly by Wyatt. Pointed piscina on
south wall has triple roll-moulding. Gothic wooden altar screen,
mid-C19. Pews of 1843, font and pulpit of 1846. East window has
unsigned glass of 1871. Some fine wall tablets, especially a
pedimented marble on north side of nave to Richard Woodroffe, died
1692, and a pedimented painted limestone on south side, to Joseph
Gilbert, died 1759, in the chancel a classical marble to John
Maton, died 1827 and a Gothic tablet to Leonard Pitt Maton, died
1858. This church is now maintained by the Redundant Churches
Fund. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.
Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).


Listing NGR: SU0670843773

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.