History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn at Maddington Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Shrewton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1935 / 51°11'36"N

Longitude: -1.9069 / 1°54'24"W

OS Eastings: 406604

OS Northings: 143817

OS Grid: SU066438

Mapcode National: GBR 3YD.4QJ

Mapcode Global: VHB58.W8SC

Entry Name: Barn at Maddington Farm

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023960

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319866

Location: Shrewton, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Shrewton

Built-Up Area: Shrewton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shrewton

Listing Text

SHREWTON MADDINGTON STREET
SU 04 SE
(off south side)
3/258 Barn at Maddington Farm
10/1/53
II
Barn. Circa 1600 with addition of c1700. Flint with stone quoins
and dressings, tiled roof, walls lined with chalk, 2-bay addition
to south in English garden walls bond brick with stone dressings. 5
bays with 2-bay addition to south on same axis. 2-storey, 2-window
east front. Moulded stone plinth, inserted entry to centre, to
left are two 2-light round-arched windows with hoodmoulds and to
right are two the same, addition to left has chamfered square-
headed doorway, two 2-light chamfered recessed mullioned windows.
First floor of left part has moulded string course and two blocked
2-light mullioned windows with inserted doorway to left, main range
has one inserted door at first floor. Right return has two 2-light
round-arched windows with hoodmoulds to first floor, saddleback
coped verges. Rear has blocked square-headed entry; probably
inserted, and no windows. Attached to rear right of later
addition are C20 barns, attached to right return is pair of C19
farm cottages, not of special interest.
Interior has inserted floor of c1800, though replacing an original
floor removed during the C18. Chalk-lined walls. 5-bay roof has
tie-beam and collar with raking struts to principals; the centre
bay has curved wind braces to upper tier of butt purlins. Tudor-
arched doorway on ground and first floors, planked door survives to
ground floor, with strap hinges. Inserted floor has chamfered
beams with runout stops. The grange at Maddington was a grange of
the Benedictine nunnery at Amesbury, founded 980. (Unpublished
records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).


Listing NGR: SU0660443817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.