History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Attatched Farmbuildings at Elston Hill Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Orcheston, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2106 / 51°12'38"N

Longitude: -1.9039 / 1°54'13"W

OS Eastings: 406810

OS Northings: 145719

OS Grid: SU068457

Mapcode National: GBR 3Y6.5GF

Mapcode Global: VHB52.YTCS

Entry Name: Barn and Attatched Farmbuildings at Elston Hill Farm

Listing Date: 9 January 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023974

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319895

Location: Orcheston, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Orcheston

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shrewton

Listing Text

Barn and attached
ST 93 SE
1/0001
farmbuildinqs at
Elston Hill Farm
GV II

Farmbuildings. 1840's for Stephen Mills including resited late C18
barn. North range, including barn of weatherboarding over timber frame
with hipped corrugated iron roof; east range of flint with brick
dressings and gabled slate roof; west range of lime rendered cob with
hipped slate roof, with low cob and slate range connected to smithy
at south end of knapped flint with brick dressings, gabled slate roof
and brick end stacks. PLAN: built around 3 sides of south-facing yard;
to north is 9-bay barn with south aisle and 2 threshing bays flanked
by 3-bay cartsheds each end with granary to left over; east cowhouse
range of one storey, 10 bays, with bull pen to south; west stable
range of 2 storeys with further range to south consisting of one-
storey 3-bay loosebox range connected to 2-storey smithy. North range:
sliding doors to all openings, including 2 double doors and 2 loft
doors. West range has timber lintels over all openings. East range is
open-sided to yard, with stone-quoined doorway to east and brick-
quoined doorway to south gable. Lower range to south of west stable
range has 3 large doors with adjoining windows to east front, window
to left with original glazing. Smithy has segmental-arched brick-
quoined doorway to east and 2-window south gable with brick segmental-
arched windows. INTERIOR: Granary and stable have king-post trusses.
Barn has late C18 timber-framing with bracing to tie beams and arcade
plates and mid C19 queen-strut trusses. First-floor corn mill to west
of barn and over cartshed is noted as having quern stones.
This is the principal range of buildings on this large (600 acres in
1914) sheep-and-corn farmstead. It is a good example of an improved
farmstead of the "High Farming" era built on the estate of Stephen
Mills, who was a pioneer of agricultural improvement on Salisbury
Plain and one of the foremost agriculturalists in southern England in
his use of advanced technology.


Listing NGR: SU0681045719

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.