History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orcheston House and the Wing, Orcheston House

A Grade II Listed Building in Orcheston, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2093 / 51°12'33"N

Longitude: -1.916 / 1°54'57"W

OS Eastings: 405961

OS Northings: 145573

OS Grid: SU059455

Mapcode National: GBR 3Y6.2DQ

Mapcode Global: VHB52.QVXS

Entry Name: Orcheston House and the Wing, Orcheston House

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1023987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319821

Location: Orcheston, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Orcheston

Built-Up Area: Orcheston

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Salisbury Plain

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shrewton

Listing Text

ORCHESTON ORCHESTON ST. MARY
SU 04 NE
(east side)
2/185 Orcheston House and The Wing,
Orcheston House
GV II
House with attached service wing, now separate occupancy. C18,
south range c.1830. Buff-coloured Flemish bond brick to 1830s
range, English garden wall bond to C18 range, Welsh slate hipped
roof, brick stacks. L-plan. 3-storey, 4-window entrance front,
composed of 3-bay C18 range to left, The Wing, and 3-bay 1830s
range to right. Orcheston House has door with 4 fielded panels in
round-arched opening with fanlight, up stone steps which are
covered by flat-roofed porch with round-arched windows, to right is
blind arch rising through all floors, to left is 12-pane sash to
basement, 16-pane sash to ground, 12-pane to first and second
floors, all with flat arches. Deep eaves. The Wing to left of main
house has glazed door to right and two 9-pane sashes to left, 2-
brick plat band to first floor; three 12-pane sashes to first and
second floors. Left return of The Wing has 2-storey lean-to with
sashes, and rear has casements and half-glazed door to ground
floor, with 12-pane sashes to first and second floors; the second
floor was added c.1830 when main range built. Right return of main
house is garden front of 2 storeys and basement, 4 windows.
Basement has four square blind windows and is partly concealed by
C20 steps to ground floor; four tall 15-pane sashes, first floor
has four 9-pane sashes; all with flat arches, flanking pilasters
with simple brick capitals. Deep eaves on brackets. Rear of main
range has blind arch rising through all floors, as on front, two 2-
light casements to basement and first floor, second floor to right
has 9-pane sash.
Interior not accessible at time of survey (October 1984), but said
to have 4-panelled doors, plaster ceiling friezes and stairs of
c1830 to main range. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England.),
Salisbury)


Listing NGR: SU0596145573

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.