History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Armscote Old Meeting House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tredington, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1005 / 52°6'1"N

Longitude: -1.643 / 1°38'34"W

OS Eastings: 424553

OS Northings: 244741

OS Grid: SP245447

Mapcode National: GBR 5PC.CFN

Mapcode Global: VHBYF.GGSM

Entry Name: Armscote Old Meeting House

Listing Date: 16 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024059

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306576

Location: Tredington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Tredington

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Newbold-on-Stour

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Halford

Listing Text

TREDINGTON ARMSCOTE
SP2444
8/210 Armscote Old Meeting House

- II

Meeting house, formerly barn. C17, converted c.1674. Squared, coursed limestone
with ashlar quoins. C20 tile roof. One storey; 3-window range. To centre a
double plank door with chamfered wood lintel. To left, centre left and right a
late C17 wood cross casement with leaded lights. A lean-to, supported on
chamfered wood pillars with stone bases, extends the length of the front.
Further cross casement to left gable end. Interior: said to contain some
benches. The Meeting House has connections with the Quaker George Fox who was an
acquaintance of John Halford, the owner of Armscote Manor House where Fox was
arrested. George Fox records in his Journal 'in 1673,.....we travelled into
Worcestershire and went to John Halfords', at Armscote in Tredington parish,
where we had a very large and precious meeting in his barn, the Lord's powerful
presence being amongst us'. The barn is thought to have become a permanent
meeting house soon after.
(Southall, K.H., Our Quaker Heritage: Early Meeting Houses , p.61).


Listing NGR: SP2456044742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.