History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shipston on Stour, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0634 / 52°3'48"N

Longitude: -1.6232 / 1°37'23"W

OS Eastings: 425927

OS Northings: 240626

OS Grid: SP259406

Mapcode National: GBR 5PS.QF8

Mapcode Global: VHBYM.TD7J

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 16 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306448

Location: Shipston on Stour, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Shipston on Stour

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Shipston-on-Stour St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Honington

Listing Text

SHIPSTON ON STOUR CHURCH STREET
SP2540 (East side)
14/85 Church of St. Edmund
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as parish
Church of St. Edmund)

GV II*

Church. C15 west tower, the remainder of church rebuilt by G.E. Street, 1855, in
C14 style. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed rubble with plinth. Offset
buttresses, quoins and coped gables. Concrete tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave
with north vestry and west tower. Chancel of one bay. To east a 5-light window
with central, taller light. Hood mould and label stops. Moulded string course
below. To south a single pointed and cusped light. Nave of 5 bays with stone
valley stack to north. To east of north aisle a 4-light cusped window. To east
of south aisle a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. North vestry has
2-light cusped window to east with hood mould and label stops, 3-light pointed
window to north and plank door to west in pointed, chamfered surround. North
lean-to porch with painted and chamfered doorway. Within, a plank door with
pointed, ovolo-moulded surround. Four north aisle windows of 2-lights with
Y-tracery. To south a large archway with chamfered, pointed openings with
cusping within a south plank door with double chamfered surround and pointed
arch with hood mould. Easternmost bay of south aisle has plank door with
chamfered surround, and 3 single pointed and cusped lancets. Four south aisle
windows of 3 traceried lights with central, taller light. West end of south
aisle has large 4-light window with Decorated style tracery and string course
below. West end of north aisle has 2-light window with cusped tracery and hood
mould. West tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth and cornice with gargoyles and
coped parapet above. To west a part-renewed 3-light window with intersecting,
cusped tracery, double chamfered surround and hood mould with label stops. To
north, west and south of second stage a chamfered square light. Worn string
cornice above. To each side of bell stage a C15 window of 2 cusped lights within
chamfered surround and slate louvres. The window to south is renewed. Interior:
chancel has C19 pointed, cusped piscina to north and large sedilia with Tudor
arched head and hood mould to south. Chamfered, pointed chancel arch with hood
mould. Nave arcade of 5 pointed, chamfered arches supported on round piers with
round moulded bases and capitals. Scissor braced roof to nave. C18, C19 and C20
wall tablets including one with obelisk and bust above a tablet inscribed 'Near
this place lieth interred the body of John Hart Esq., considerable Improver and
Promoter of Manufacture in this his Native Town, who, in the Year 1739 Bore the
Office of High Sherrif of the County of Worcester. He died Sept. 1 A.D. 1747
aged 73. To his memory this monument was erected by his nephew John Hart'. Stone
pulpit with C13-style traceried panels and hexagonal font with C14-style
traceried panels with fleuron cornice. C19 stained glass in east window, and in
east window of south aisle chapel.


Listing NGR: SP2592740626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.