History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dower House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilmington, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0901 / 52°5'24"N

Longitude: -1.6965 / 1°41'47"W

OS Eastings: 420892

OS Northings: 243572

OS Grid: SP208435

Mapcode National: GBR 4MZ.XKM

Mapcode Global: VHBYD.KQ0L

Entry Name: The Dower House

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 16 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024113

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306398

Location: Ilmington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Ilmington

Built-Up Area: Ilmington

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Ilmington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ilmington

Listing Text

ILMINGTON BACK STREET
SP2043 (West side)
9/34 The Dower House
02/09/52 (Formerly listed as Dower
House)

GV II

House. C16 and C17. Limestone ashlar with quoins and coped gables. Stone slate
roof with ashlar ridge stacks. 2 storeys plus attic; 3-window range. Double
depth plan, the gabled wings to front. To centre a C20 plank door within
moulded stone surround With hood, and lintel with keystone. To left of door a
6-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window with king mullion. To right a 5-light
mullioned window. To left and right of first floor a 4-light mullioned window
with a 2-light mullioned window between. In each gable a 3-light mullioned
window. All mullioned windows have hood moulds and label stops. Small coped
gable to centre. Interior: Cl6 north side has spine beams with ogee stops. Also.
ovolo-moulded spine beam. Chamfered spine beams to first floor. Stone flagged
floors. Timber and plaster partition. C18 turned-baluster-dog-leg staircase
rising to attics. Original landing planks. In first floor room a date is
scratched, 1721. To first floor a stone fireplace with ovolo hood and carved
lintel. Also a carving of the Tudor Rose to centre. Further moulded fireplace,
with moulded hood. In attic, trusses of queen strut roof visible. Original
purlins. Some old plank doors remain. In mullioned window an original casement
with catch.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.98-99).


Listing NGR: SP2089243572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.