This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1063 / 52°6'22"N
Longitude: -1.3789 / 1°22'43"W
OS Eastings: 442638
OS Northings: 245512
OS Grid: SP426455
Mapcode National: GBR 7S6.S8J
Mapcode Global: VHCW1.1BX4
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306251
Location: Shotteswell, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Shotteswell
Built-Up Area: Shotteswell
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Shotteswell St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SHOTTESWELL CHURCH LANE
SP4245 (East side)
10/141 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. C12 origins. Early C13 tower; early C14 chancel and aisles; late C14
north chapel and clerestory; C15 spire. Restored 1875. Ironstone ashlar, with
regular coursed ironstone chancel. Moulded cornices. Low pitched lead roofs with
gable parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, north vestry, north porch and west tower.
2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splayed plinth, with diagonal buttresses.
C19 three-light east window has intersecting tracery. North and south sides have
late C14 straight-headed eastern windows of 2 trefoiled lights and pierced
spandrels, and hood moulds. South side has similar earlier C14 western window
without hood mould, incorporating former low-side window. Nave has clerestorey,
much restored in grey stone, of 3 square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled ogee
lights with hood moulds. North porch has low angle buttresses. Archway of 2
chamfered orders dying into splayed jambs. Stone benches inside. Plank north
door in arch of 2 ovolo-moulded orders, with hood mould and head stops. North
aisle has 2 late C14 three-light windows, restored C17. Eastern window has
Decorated tracery with mouchettes in segmental-pointed arch. Central window
square-headed with trefoiled round-arched lights and hood mould with head stops.
Square-headed western window of 2 trefoiled lights. South aisle has Decorated
2-light east window with hood mould and block stops. Square-headed eastern
window of 3 trefoiled round-arched lights and moulded spandrels, with hood
mould. Western window of 2 arched lights with pierced spandrel. Tower of 2
stages has splayed plinth and chamfered string course. North west and south west
angle buttresses to first stage. Square south east turret below parapet. C19
arched west door. West lancet. North, east and west bell opening of 2 lancets
and arched hood mould; west side has blank circle. Plain parapet with string
course and cornice. Octagonal spire has lucarnes. Interior: chancel has C14
piscina with trefoiled ogee head. C19 three-bay Gothic king post roof with
cusped arches. Narrow C13 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with moulded abaci
and plain hood mould. Nave has 3-bay C12 north arcade with low round pillars and
responds, and scalloped square capitals. East and west responds have C14 heads.
Late C13 arcade of 3 wider bays of 2 chamfered orders with hood moulds, round
pillars and moulded capitals. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders, the inner on
tapering corbels with C13 heads. 4-bay roof of 1902-03 has cambered tie beams.
North aisle has ogee west doorway with hood mould and finial. C17 lean-to roof
with chamfered cross beams. South aisle has C14 piscina with trefoiled ogee
head. East wall has moulded brackets at different heights. Roof of 1902-03
similar to north aisle. Fittings: north aisle has stone benches to north and
west walls, and across aisle, with central gap. 6-bay C14 oak screen of
trefoiled tracery on cross benches, with C19 balusters and top rail. C19 screen
of similar design across first bay of arcade. Font has deep round bowl on short
stem and 4 shafts, 2 of round reel possibly C11/C12. Polygonal pulpit of 6
panels of elaborate C15 cinqfoiled tracery with angle buttresses, and some C19
work. Reredos made up of various C17 Flemish oak carvings. Communion rails have
C18 twisted balusters. Benches of early C16 traceried panels with buttresses
etc., and others made up from panels similar to pulpit C18. Chancel stalls have
C18 fielded panel backs. Late C13 hutch chest. Mid C17 carved altar table in
south aisle. C17 striking clock without dial, Stained glass. South aisle east
window has 14 fragments.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.150-153; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP4263845512
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings