History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Radway Institute

A Grade II Listed Building in Radway, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1315 / 52°7'53"N

Longitude: -1.4589 / 1°27'31"W

OS Eastings: 437136

OS Northings: 248273

OS Grid: SP371482

Mapcode National: GBR 6QK.9ZD

Mapcode Global: VHBYB.NPLB

Entry Name: Radway Institute

Listing Date: 8 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024199

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306198

Location: Radway, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Radway

Built-Up Area: Radway

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Radway St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ratley

Listing Text

RADWAY TYSOE ROAD
(North side)

SP3648
8/87

Radway Institute

GV II


Village hall. Dated 1852. Built for and endowed by John Chambers. Regular
coursed ironstone. Tile roofs have coped gable parapets with kneelers. L-plan
with main range at right angles to road. Gothic Revival style. One-bay entrance
front. Central gabled porch has 6-panelled double-leaf door in chamfered Tudor
arched doorway with straight head and moulded spandrels. Datestone above has
shield with initials CC, RN and JC. Hollow-chamfered 4-centred lancet in square
chamfered surround with moulded spandrels. Door and windows throughout have hood
moulds and foliage-carved block stops. Quatrefoil shield panel in gable apex.
Return sides have windows of 3 lancets in square heads with moulded spandrels.
Left side: 2-window range. Small wing at right angles has late C20 glazed double
doors. Right side to Kineton Road: 3-window range. Built as 'The Church
Institute, for the encouragement of general literature' (Kelly), on a site given
by Charles Chambers, who built and endowed the school (now The School House
q.v.).
(Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, p.169).


Listing NGR: SP3713648273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.