History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Radway, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1297 / 52°7'46"N

Longitude: -1.463 / 1°27'46"W

OS Eastings: 436852

OS Northings: 248066

OS Grid: SP368480

Mapcode National: GBR 6QK.GXV

Mapcode Global: VHBYB.LQDR

Entry Name: The School House

Listing Date: 8 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024201

English Heritage Legacy ID: 306200

Location: Radway, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Radway

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Radway St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ratley

Listing Text

RADWAY TYSOE ROAD
(North side)

SP3648
8/89

The School House

GV II


School and master's house, now house. Dated 1851. Built for and endowed by
Charles Chambers. Ironstone ashlar. Tile roof with bands of fish scale tiles and
ridge cresting; main roof has coped gable parapets with kneelers; stone stack.
T-plan, with cross wing on right. Gothic Revival style. Former schoolroom on
left is a single-storey, 3-window range. House: one storey and attic; one-window
range. Entrance in angle has stone and painted wood glazed porch with archway
and flanking trefoiled lights, all under straight head. Gable has large
septfoiled triangle. Elaborate pierced cusped bargeboards. Left side has 3
trefoiled lights. Glazed spandrels throughout. Stone arched doorway inside has
Gothic 4-panelled door with trefoil above. Schoolrs, all under straight head.
Sable has large septfoiled triangle. Elaborate pierced cusped bargeboards. Left
side has 3 trefoiled lights. Glazed spandrels throughout. Stone arched doorway
inside has Gothic 4-panelled door with trefoil above. Schoolr hood moulds in
gable. House has 3-light mullioned and transomed window with hood mould
continued across wall as string course. 2-light mullioned window above has hood
mould with foliage stops. All hood moulds carried further than usual down sides
of windows. Datestone in apex of gable has quatrefoil panel with date and
initials CC RN. Elaborate pierced and cusped bargeboards with quatrefoils and
pendant. Right return side has slightly projecting gabled centre with offsets.
2-light mullioned window. First floor has single cinqfoiled lancet in straight
head with hood mould and foliage stops. Apex of gable has heraldic quatrefoil
panel. Stack of 3 chamfered square ashlar shafts with continuous cornice. Left
and right sections have string course. Rear largely similar to front. Simple
porch with catslide roof and plank door with small lancet glazed panel in right
return side. House has 3-light mullioned windows, on ground floor with hood
mould continued across wall. Interior not inspected. A good quality, well
detailed and almost unaltered example.


Listing NGR: SP3685248066

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.