This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0092 / 52°0'32"N
Longitude: -1.6368 / 1°38'12"W
OS Eastings: 425027
OS Northings: 234586
OS Grid: SP250345
Mapcode National: GBR 5QC.T6F
Mapcode Global: VHBYT.LR2N
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305983
Location: Great Wolford, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Great Wolford
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Wolford St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
5/48 Church of St. Michael
Church. Completely rebuilt 1833. Restored 1885. Limestone ashlar with slate
roof. Chancel, nave and west tower. Short chancel of one bay with moulded
plinth, clasped buttresses with polygonal pinnacles, moulded eaves cornice and
coped parapet with cross at apex of east gable. To east a window in C15 style of
4 cusped lights and tracery. Hood mould with carved head lables. Moulded string
course directly below window. To south a vestry with square-headed window to
east and doorway with 4-centred arch to south. Window and door have hood mould
with labels. To north a stone lean-to shed with C20 tile roof. North plank door
with 2 rectangular lights to right. Nave of 5 bays with moulded plinth, offset
buttresses, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. To north and south five
windows in late C13 style, each of 2 cusped, pointed, lights and Y-tracery in
chamfered surround. Hood moulds with carved foliage and carved-head labels. To
west wall of nave a blind window in C13 style of 2 lights and Y-tracery. West
tower of 4 stages with moulded plinth, moulded string course to second and third
stages, and offset buttresses rising to fourth stage. Moulded eaves cornice with
coped parapet above. Tall octagonal spire with ribbed angle and moulded finial.
To west a doorway with chamfered surround and hood mould with carved head
labels. Plank door. To north and south a lancet with hood mould and carved head
labels. To left of south window a doorway with hood mould and carved head
labels. To south of second stage, below a moulded weather-course, a window in
C15 style of 3 cusped lights and tracery. Hood mould with carved labels. To
west, south and north of third stage a rectangular light. To bell-chamber stage
4 windows in C13 style, each of 2 lights and Y-tracery. Hood moulds with carved
head labels. One tier of lucarnes with 2 cusped lights. Interior: C19
low-pitched roofs, that to nave with braces and carved spandrels. To south wall
of chancel a marble wall table to Aston Ingram who died 1711. To north wall of
chancel a marble wall table to Hastings Ingram and Ann, his wife. This tablet is
probably late C17 or early C18, and is surmounted by a crest. Two C19 tablets in
east wall. In south wall of nave a tablet, inscribed in Latin to Hastings
Ingram, who died in 1665. Above west door a tablet to Barbara Ingram, who died
in 1745. C19 polygonal stone font with carved panels.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.217; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.300).
Listing NGR: SP2502734586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings