This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0747 / 52°4'28"N
Longitude: -1.5198 / 1°31'11"W
OS Eastings: 433008
OS Northings: 241926
OS Grid: SP330419
Mapcode National: GBR 6R2.SP9
Mapcode Global: VHBYP.L3XV
Entry Name: Parish Church (Dedication Unknown)
Listing Date: 22 September 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305837
Location: Compton Wynyates, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Compton Wynyates
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Tysoe Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
3/74 Parish Church (dedication
Church. Nearly entirely rebuilt c.1665. Ashlar ironstone. Stone plinth. Steeply
pitched M-shaped roof: Stone slate to diminishing courses to front and C20 tile
to rear. Stone coped gables. Double-nave and west tower plan. 2 round-headed
east windows of 3 lights with cusped heads and hood moulds with lozenge shaped
label stops. North and south sides of naves each have two 4-light windows with
cusped heads, hood moulds and label stops. Buttresses between. South doorway has
stone surround with alternating rustication. Plank door. West tower. 3 stages.
Pointed arched 2-light windows with Y tracery, hood moulds and label stops to
belfry. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. String courses. Angle buttresses.
Interior: the 2 naves are separated by a 4-bay arcade with quatrefoil piers.
Renewed roofs. 3-sided C18 communion rail. Pulpit with ogee sounding board
c.1720. C18 box pews. Stone font with oval bowl, baluster stem and wooden cover
probably late C17. Set of 17 hatchments. A number of damaged C15,alabaster
effigies of the Conpton family including a lady C15, Sir Thomas Compton d.1528,
Knight late C16, 2 ladies late C16. Marble wall tablet to Sir William Compton
d.1663. Vases in broken segmental pediment. Brass floor plaque to Sir William
Compton dated 1663. Fragments of original painted plaster ceiling exhibited on
west wall include representations of night and day.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.242; Guidebook to Compton Wynyates,
p.21; V.C.H.; Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.60-67).
Listing NGR: SP3300841929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings