This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2527 / 52°15'9"N
Longitude: -1.2732 / 1°16'23"W
OS Eastings: 449712
OS Northings: 261860
OS Grid: SP497618
Mapcode National: GBR 7QL.NYF
Mapcode Global: VHCV9.WM8Y
Entry Name: Shuckburgh Hall
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305731
Location: Upper and Lower Shuckburgh, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Upper and Lower Shuckburgh
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
2/155 Shuckburgh Hall
Country house. C14/C15 origins with C15/C16 work; C18 and other alterations.
Front range, rear additions and alterations 1844 by H.E. Kendall for the
Shuckburgh family. Timber-framed, with some close studding and lath and plaster
infill, and some brick; rendered. Some limestone ashlar. Front range of
imitation ashlar rendered brick, with some stone dressings. Tile roof; front
range and additions have slate hipped roofs, with parapets to front range;
rendered stacks with moulded cornices and some round shafts. Complex F-plan,
with wings to rear. Italianate or Free Renaissance style. 1-1-3-1-1-3 bays.
Front range has rusticated quoins, moulded console bracket cornice and
openwork-panelled parapet throughout. Recessed centre has loggia of 2 pairs of
Ionic columns, entablature and cornice. Simple angle piers and pilasters inside.
Large statue of a dog with the Shuckburgh family crest on pedestal, with
attached boot scraper, between each pair of columns; large gadrooned urn to left
and right. Central half-glazed double-leaf doors and overlight have moulded
stone eared architrave, and outer panels and consoles. Plate glass sashes. First
floor has central Venetian window with French casement, consoles and moulded
entablature, and shell-moulded typanum with keystone. Sashes throughout, some
with plate glass. Most windows have moulded architraves with cornices and
consoles of varying patterns. Projecting bays have tripartite sashes, with Ionic
pilasters.Moulded entablature has convex central section with large central
console. First floor windows have architraves with volutes and segmental
pediments, with large keystone abutting window above. One-bay inner sides are
similar to centre. 2-storey range set back on left. Central half-glazed
4-panelled door in simple moulded architrave. Narrow plate glass sashes to left
and right. Entablature with bracket cornice, and balustrade of 3 openwork
panels. First floor set back. Large tripartite French window with Bow-fronted
right range has tripartite sashes to ground and first floor, with mullions
curving out at base. Low tower above and behind. First floor has moulded sill
with 3 moulded panels and elaborate consoles below. 3-bay further range. Ground
floor windows have plain surrounds, curving out at base, with consoles and
cornice. First floor windows similar to central range. Lower second floor
throughout has 6-pane sashes in curved eared and shouldered architraves. Long
irregular wing to rear has taller section on left with small gable. One-window
section of limestone has C18 sashes with moulded frames and lintels with triple
keystones. Timber-framed gable. One-bay projection has C19 three-light mullioned
and transomed window, and close studded gable. 3 external stacks. To rear: main
range has mid C19 porch turret in right corner. Moulded Gothic arch to front and
side.Gothic door. First floor has 3-light casement; top stage has recessed panel
with inset round arch and small sash. Modillion cornice. Pyramid roof has
painted wood bell turret with ogee roof and finial. Irregular fenestration,
mostly C19, of casements and mullioned windows, mostly C19. To left large
hollow-chamfered mullioned window of five C16 Tudor arch lights, but with C19
terracotta mullioned above. Large mid C19 kitchen wing on right has 2
cross-windows ,and sash with margin bars on first floor. Panelled walls.
Interior: several finely detailed Jacobethan rooms. Entrance hall has ribbed
plaster ceiling with strapwork border. Carved oak fireplace, overmantel and
doorcases have elaborate arabesque and strapwork carving and openwork cresting.
Fireplace has inset miniature of Charles I. Doorcases have elaborate consoles,
cornices and cresting. Moulded fielded 4-panelled doors. Screen of 2 pairs of
Ionic columns to left of c.1900. Drawing room to left has panelled ceiling with
moulded wood ribs and plasterwork with shallow pendants. Dining room to right
has plaster ceiling with bosses and large central pendant; cornice incorporating
family crest. Red streaked marble fireplace with bulging pilasters and fine
brass round-arched grate with arabesque spandrels. Still life painting set in
shaped oak leaf garland plaster frame. Fine mahogany moulded 6-panelled doors.
Late C17 ante room has bolection panelling with inset tapestries, said to be
Mortlake. Plasterwork ceiling in very high relief has central oval wreath, and
classical painting; spandrels have branches. Top-lit open well staircase has
twisted balusters. Window has Jacobethan style heraldic stained glass. Rear
range has broad-chamfered ceiling beams. The Shuckburgh family have lived at
Shuckburgh for 1000 years.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.438; Peter Reid: Burke's and Savills
Guide to Country Houses: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire,
Worcestershire, p.172; G.C. Tyack: Country House Building in Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP4971261860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings