History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Barcheston, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0561 / 52°3'22"N

Longitude: -1.6158 / 1°36'56"W

OS Eastings: 426438

OS Northings: 239819

OS Grid: SP264398

Mapcode National: GBR 5Q0.0B6

Mapcode Global: VHBYM.YL44

Entry Name: The Manor

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 30 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 305770

Location: Barcheston, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Barcheston

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Barcheston St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Shipston on Stour

Listing Text

BARCHESTON
SP2639
13/7 The Manor
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Manor
Farmhouse)

GV II

Manor house, now house. Probably late C16/early C17 with later additions. Ashlar
limestone and coursed squared limestone rubble. Steeply pitched slate roof laid
to diminishing courses. Stone ridge and brick end stacks. Stone coped gable to
left. Complex plan. Main 2-storey early part with lower single-storey-plus-attic
range to right and brick range on stone footings to rear. Main part. 2 storeys.
3-window range. Entrance to right has panelled door with moulded wood
door-frame and overlight. 4-light stone mullioned and transomed window to left.
First floor has two 2-light and a 4-light stone mullioned and transomed windows.
Moulded band above ground floor and first floor windows. Stone plinth. Lighter
stone quoins. 2-window single-storey-plus-attic stone range to right. Interior:
Chamfered beams. 4-centred stone fireplaces on both floors. Dog-leg staircase.
Stud partition in first floor room. Stone flag floors. Plank door with 4-centred
arched wood doorway. William Sheldon is noted as setting up his looms here in
C16 to manufacture the famous Sheldon Tapestries.
(Humphreys, J. Elizabethan Tapestries, 1929; Society of Antiquaries, Second
Series, Vol XXXVIII, Archaeologia, p.272; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949,
p.5).

Listing NGR: SP2643839819

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.