This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2478 / 52°14'51"N
Longitude: -1.3231 / 1°19'23"W
OS Eastings: 446309
OS Northings: 261281
OS Grid: SP463612
Mapcode National: GBR 7QQ.291
Mapcode Global: VHCV9.0RWQ
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305644
Location: Napton on the Hill, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47
Civil Parish: Napton on the Hill
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Napton-on-the-Hill St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
NAPTON ON THE HILL HACKWELL HILL
10/68 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. c.1200; partly rebuilt and aisles added C13; transepts c.1275 (Buildings
of England). South porch late C16/C17. (V.C.H.). Lower stage of tower c.1300
(Buildings of England); altered and top stage added mid C18. Restored,
clerestory added and re-roofed 1861 by J. Croft. Regular coursed ironstone;
north transept of coursed squared rubble; chancel north and north aisle west
walls of rubble. Chancel, nave, transepts and porch have tile roofs with moulded
coped gable parapets; nave and south transepts have ridge cresting. Aisles have
shallow lean-to roofs, probably of lead, with moulded cornices and parapets.
Aisled cruciform plan with west tower, south porch and north vestry. 3-bay
chancel, 4-bay nave. Chancel rids splayed plinth. Full-height angle buttresses
with 2 offsets; first offset and gable parapet have gablets. 4-light
Perpendicular east window has hood mould with return stops. Central mid C19,
south door has chamfered segmental arch under straight-head with hood mould.
Sundial below eaves. 2 mid C19 paired lancets have hood moulds with head stops
and carved grapes. 3 widely-spaced small Romanesque north windows in irregular
block surrounds. North transept has single and triple stepped east lancets.
North window has round super-arch with shafts and 3 stepped trefoiled lancets.
West lancet. C19 moulded gable parapet has kneelers with gablets and leaf
carving, and cross finial. South transept has moulded plinth and diagonal
buttresses. C19 two-light east window with hood mould. 3 stepped trefoiled
individual south lancets within round relieving arch. Gable has aid C19 trefoil
and relieving arch. South porch has moulded arch and imposts, and hood mould
with lozenge stops. Blocked low segmental-pointed arched windows, larger to
east, have inside C12 or early C13 shafts and coarse Perpendicular tracery
(Buildings of England). Stone benches. Queen strut roof with moulded tie beams
and north wall plate. South doorway c.1200 has round arch with large roll
mouldings and hood mould, and remains of stiff-leaf capitals; nook shafts
missing. C19 half-glazed double-leaf doors with glazing bars. South aisle has
diagonal butress. Partly-renewed 2-light straight-headed Decorated windows east
and west of porch. West lancet. North aisle has shallow C16/CI7 projection
between transept and vestry. Partly-renewed 3-light chamfered mullioned window.
Small window built out across north-west angle. West lancet. North and south
clerestories have quatrefoil, trefoil and octofoil windows. Small, low vestry
has north gable and splayed cornice. Small straight headed Decorated north
window. Buttress with 3 offsets in west angle between aisle and vestry. Tower of
2 stages has high splayed plinth. West angles have Tuscan piers to first stage.
String course. Round arched south door, window above and west window. Second
stage has round-arched bell openings with Y-tracery, and transom inserted;
bottom part blocked to east. Moulded cornice and parapet of 3 sunk panels, with
moulded coping and obelisk and ball pinnacles. Interior: plastered walls.
Chancel has squint with trefoiled lancet to south transept. Gothic king post
roof with pendants and moulded stone corbels and subsidiary shallow scissor
braces between bays. Three-quarter length C13 chancel arch of 2 major and 2
minor chamfered orders with moulded responds, splayed back into wall below.
South-east splay has small amount of diaper work and carved head. Nave has 4-bay
arcades of 2 chamfered orders, and octagonal piers with moulded capitals of
varying designs. The slightly earlier north arcade has no east respond, and the
north-east pier has a round capital. Blocked tower arch of 3 chamfered orders.
Hammer beam-type roof, but with tie-beam in place of hammer beam. Moulded stone
corbels. Subsidiary principal rafters between bays. North transept has C19
double piscina. Medieval altar slab. Pair of C13 round arched tomb recesses in
north wall. North window has C19 Early English style arches and detached shafts
with hood mould; outer hood mould with head stops. Roof has alternating arched
brace and plain rafter and collar trusses with wall pieces and moulded wall
plates. South transept has Gothic cusped rafters. North aisle has flat plastered
ceiling with arcade penetrations. South aisle lean-to roof has moulded
tie-beams. Vestry has C13 former north doorway with moulded arch, hood mould and
head stops. Ancient plank door with arched grille, now boarded. C19 fittings.
Early C19 framed Royal coat of arms on west wall. Chest 1624. An inscription
records that it was given by Thomas and Isabel Garit. C19 stained glass.
Monuments: chancel north: John Shuckburgh 1625. Brass set in painted, moulded
and scrolled frame, in plain outer frame.
(V.C.H. Warwickshire: Vol.6 pp 184-185; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp.
Listing NGR: SP4630961281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings