This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3049 / 52°18'17"N
Longitude: -1.8737 / 1°52'25"W
OS Eastings: 408710
OS Northings: 267428
OS Grid: SP087674
Mapcode National: GBR 3HX.F3R
Mapcode Global: VH9ZW.GBTD
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Ascension
Listing Date: 11 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024490
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305548
Location: Mappleborough Green, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B80
Civil Parish: Mappleborough Green
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Studley with Mappleborough Green
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
STUDLEY BIRMINGHAM ROAD
SP06NE (East side)
1/200 Church of the Holy Ascension
Church. 1888. Designed by Julius Alfred Chatwin. Rock-faced limestone with
limestone dressings. Tile roofs with coped gables. Aisled nave, chancel, south
chapel and north organ chamber, south porch and west tower. Early English style.
Symmetrical 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. South door has shafts and moulded arch
with hood mould and head stops. Plank door with elaborately scrolled hinges.
Timber porch on stone base has glazed tracery and half-glazed panelled
double-leaf doors. Chancel has diagonal buttresses. East window of 3 stepped
lancets. North and south sides have trefoiled east lancets. Low north organ
chamber and south chapel have lean-to roofs. Trefoiled east lancets. Sides have
single window of 4 small trefoiled lancets. Very narrow aisles have 3-light
windows with Geometrical bar tracery and hood moulds. Trefoiled west lancets.
Tower has moulded plinth. Stair turret on north side. 3-light west window with
bar tracery. Moulded string course. Bell openings to each side of paired
trefoiled lancets. Hood moulds. Crenellated parapet with gargoyle. Interior:
ashlar with contrasting lighter dressings. Chancel east window has detached
shafts and moulded arches. Moulded string course, stepped down and continued
under north and south lancets. Lancets have rere-arches with hood moulds and
stops. Paired arches to south chapel of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal pier
and responds, under blank super-arch. Spandrel has quatrefoil with coat of arms.
Organ in archway to north. Pair of sedilia have moulded frame with trefoils and
half-trefoils in spandrels. Piscina in similar frame but without shafts and with
inner trefoiled round arch. Wagon roof. Fine chancel arch has inner and outer
shafts, 2 roll mouldings and hood mould with carved head stops. Low stone screen
wall, incorporating pulpit, has moulded plinth, and top with ballflower
ornament. Fine octagonal pulpit has upper part of oak with paired trefoiled
lancets, and carved and traceried panels, and carved frieze. Nave has 4-bay
arcade with alternating octagonal and round piers and responds and moulded bases
and capitals. Arches of 2 chamfered orders with hood moulds and head stop to
each end. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders, without imposts. Wagon roof. Stone
rib-vaulted south chapel has carved basses. Aisles have lean-to roofs on moulded
polygonal corbels. Fittings: Unusual alabaster font, a lifesize kneeling angel
holding lobed bowl. South chapel has good quality wrought iron screen and gates.
Stained glass: fine east and west windows. North aisle north-east window dated
1900. A fine and completely unaltered example of late 19th century church
desiqn. J.A. Chatwin (1829-1907) was a pupil of Sir Charles Barry and a notable
(Buildings of England; Warwickshire, pp.347-348).
Listing NGR: SP0871067428
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings