This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2719 / 52°16'18"N
Longitude: -1.8822 / 1°52'55"W
OS Eastings: 408137
OS Northings: 263758
OS Grid: SP081637
Mapcode National: GBR 3J8.JZG
Mapcode Global: VHB02.B5B5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024491
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305553
Location: Studley, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B80
Civil Parish: Studley
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Studley with Mappleborough Green
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
STUDLEY CASTLE ROAD
SP06SE (North side)
4/205 Church of St. Mary
Cnurch. C12 nave; early C14 south aisle and arcade; C15 chancel and tower; upper
part of tower later C15. Restored 1888 and 1935. Nave has early Cl2 herringbone
and coursed limestone; south aisle and lower part of tower of regular coursed
lias: upper part of tower of regular coursed brown limestone; chancel of red
sandstone ashlar. Tile roofs with stone coped gables. Chancel, nave, south
aisle, west tower. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel has moulded and chamfered
double plinth.Diagonal and single north and south buttresses. South doorway
with 4-centred arch. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Similar north and south
windows: Decorated eastern windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights and quatrefoil and
western trefoiled 4-centred lights. Nave has heavy buttresses. Blocked C12 north
doorway has nook-shafts with moulded capitals, scrolled to left, scalloped to
right. Chevron round arch and hood-mould with diapered stars. 4 windows. 3
Decorated windows and small C12 round-headed window in one piece, set high up.
First and third windows early C14, of 3 lights with cusped Intersecting tracery;
first has trefoiled ogee lights and trefoils; third plainer, with cinqfoiled
lights. Later C14 western window of 2 trefoiled lights with pierced spandrels.
South aisle has chamfered plinth and angle buttresses. Early Engli sh doorways
has shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, yellow limestone arch of 2 chamfered
orders, and hood mould. Decorated windows. Early C14 3-light east window with
Reticulated tracery and sunk chamfered jambs and arch, and hood-mould. South
windows similar to north. 2-light west window of paired lancets and pierced
spandrel. Perpendicular west tower of 2 stages. Moulded plinth and string
course. Full-height diagonal buttresses with 5 offsets. East buttresses abutting
nave. C16 moulded 4-centred west doorway. Studded double leaf doors have applied
blind tracery,. 3-light Perpendicular moulded west window. Upper stage has
single trefoiled square-headed light to west, north and south. 2-light bell
openings. Moulded crenellated parapet with string course and crocketed
pinnacles. Interior: Plastered walls. Chancel has early C14 piscina with pierced
trefoiled round arch. C19 panelled barrel vault. Early C14 chancel arch of 2
chamfered bases and moulded capitals. To nave C13 carved stone square panel,
reset above north capital in 1888. Carved with the Lamb and Cross in circular
panel with leaves in spandrels. On south side remains of late C13 niche with
quarter shafts and straight head. Nave has 6 steps to former rood loft, below
north-eastern window. Romanesque north window has C13 painted tendrils. Early
C14 three-bay arcade has octagonal pillars and responds with moulded capitals
and bases. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. C19 boarded barrel vault with three
early C16 moulded tie beams. South aisle has C15 piscina with trefoiled
4-centred heads and octafailed round basin. Arched barrel vault with early C16
moulded ribs, carved floral bosses and carved and moulded wall plates and
corbels. Fittings: Early C17 oak 5-sided pulpit with arcaded panels and fluted
pilasters, on carved stone base of 1909. Chancel has late C17 altar rails with
heavy column-on-vase balusters. 2 elaborate wrought iron brackets. Disused early
C13 alabaster font at east end of south aisle has baluster with acanthus band
and quadrooned bowl. Wooden lid has tall finial of column and ball and 3 scrolls.
Late C19 Early English style carved stone font at west end of south aisle has
cylindrical bowl and 3 shafts. Stained glass: South east window 1873. Monuments:
Very fine C13 coffin lid in chancel has elaborate foliated cross and foliage
carving, and Latin inscription commemorating a Prior. Wall monuments: Chancel
north Charles Knottesford, died 1697. Sir George Petre, died 1759, by Peter
Scheemakers; draped cloth with inscription and small still-life. Humphrey
Lyttleton, died 1788. South wall: Mid C17 monument with columns and pediment. No
inscription. Nave north-east: Hercey Chambers, died 1712. West wall; Court
Dewes, died 1747; Latin inscription. Plaque below with details of Dewes charity.
William Fetherston died 1670; inscribed brass with details of bread charity.
church forms a group with Old Castle (q.v.) and a number of monuments (q.v.).
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p.184-186; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP0813763758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings