History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Haselor, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2191 / 52°13'8"N

Longitude: -1.8202 / 1°49'12"W

OS Eastings: 412380

OS Northings: 257892

OS Grid: SP123578

Mapcode National: GBR 4L8.W2Z

Mapcode Global: VHB09.DHL5

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024525

English Heritage Legacy ID: 305436

Location: Haselor, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Haselor

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Haselor St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Great Alne

Listing Text

HASELOR
SP15NW
7/86 Church of St. Mary and All
01/02/67 Saints

GV II*


Church. C12 tower and south arcade; early C13 chancel; early C14 south aisle.
Upper part of tower dated 1622. North wall rebuilt and vault chamber added 1869.
Restored 1883 and 1892. Chancel of regular coursed lias; aisle and upper part of
tower of coursed lias rubble; upper part of tower has oolite dressings. Tile
roofs. Irregular nave and chancel, south aisle and chapel, south porch and west
tower. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Arched south doorway with chamfered jambs and
doorway. Double-leaf doors with decorative ironwork. Open porch said to be C19
(VCH). Lias ashiar and timber. Roof structure has re-used C15/C16 work, with
moulded tie beams and arched braces. Chancel has 2 east buttresses. C19
three-light Decorated east window. North wall has blocked doorway and late C12
two-bay arcade to demolished north chapel. Round pillar with simple capital. Two
2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders; east respond has leaf capital. 2-light
window. South side has 2-light Decorated eastern window with trefoiled ogee
lights and quatrefoil, and hood mould. Trefoiled lancet in western corner.
Buttresses between chancel and nave. Nave has two C19 Decorated north windows.
Gabled vault chamber in centre of north side has diagonal buttresses. 3-light
window with elaborately crocketed ogee tracery, hood mould and head stops. South
aisle has diagonal buttresses and single south buttress. Blank east wall. 3 much
renewed C14 south windows of 2 trefoiled ogee lights; eastern window also has
quatrefoil. Hood moulds. C19 west lancet. Tower of 2 stages. Stones below
parapet on south side inscribed with names of churchwarden and workmen and dated
1622. Diagonal buttresses to west. C14 west window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights
and quatrefoil. Upper stage has plain round-arched bell openings. C19
crenellated parapet with string course. Interior: Chancel south-western lancet
has rere-arch. South transeptal arch has C13 half-round shafts with moulded
capitals, and C19 arch and east respond. Fine C15 roof with curved braces,
coupled rafters and central rib between collars. No chancel arch. Nave has
simple late C12 three-bay south arcade of square piers with chamfered angles and
imposts and single-chamfered 2 centred arches. North arch to vault chamber. Open
timber roof with C16 moulded tie beams, and braced collars with central rib.
Tower arch has plastered jambs and remains of C12 arch. Ceiling of C18 pew
panels. Aisle windows have rere-arches. Arched braced roof with collars and 4
tie beams, the easternmost moulded. Fittings: Font, probably C12, in aisle has
tapering cylindrical bowl and moulded base. Chancel has Jacobean panelling,
possibly from pews. Datestones below parapet on south side of tower are said to
be inscribed with the names of" Richard Skukar", Churchwarden and "Henrye Lane,
Henry Hemminge, William Vaughan and John Tompkins, Workemen".
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III. pp.113-114; Buildings of England: Warwickshire
p. 408).


Listing NGR: SP1238057892

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.