History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Border Minstrel Public House to North West of Brandling House

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0355 / 55°2'7"N

Longitude: -1.6131 / 1°36'47"W

OS Eastings: 424826

OS Northings: 571290

OS Grid: NZ248712

Mapcode National: GBR KB56.KQ

Mapcode Global: WHC3C.6P3K

Entry Name: Border Minstrel Public House to North West of Brandling House

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024715

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304975

Location: North Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Civil Parish: North Gosforth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Christ the King

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Seaton Burn

Listing Text

NZ 27 SW NORTH GOSFORTH B.1318 (east side)
Gosforth Park
4/55
27 August 1952 Border Minstrel P.H. to
north west of Brandling
House.
G.V. II*
Ancillary pavilion to country house, now public house. Dated 1757 on rainwater
head. By James Paine for Charles and Elizabeth Brandling (CBE on rainwater head).
Sandstone ashlar with plinth. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays and right coach
house extension of 2 lower storeys and one bay. Rusticated quoins to central 3 bays;
4-panel double doors in outer bays with overlight at right; central 3 bays project
slightly and have central round-headed window flanked by windows in plain reveals;
5 windows on first floor and 4 on second; all windows sashes with glazing bars of
late C19 type and voussoirs. First floor band; dentilled eaves cornice. Hipped roof
has central chimney with canted corners. One-bay, 2-storey right extension with
panelled impost band to blocked segmental arch, has inserted ground floor sash and
first floor sash in recessed panel; first floor sill string. Parapet to hipped
roof with central banded chimney.


Listing NGR: NZ2482671290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.