This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9787 / 54°58'43"N
Longitude: -1.5754 / 1°34'31"W
OS Eastings: 427274
OS Northings: 564982
OS Grid: NZ272649
Mapcode National: GBR SVS.N3
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.S402
Entry Name: St Mark's Church House
Listing Date: 22 June 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305010
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Locality: South Heaton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Byker St Silas
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/10/2016
NZ 26 SE,
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE,
St Mark's Church House
(Formerly listed as: CHURCH OF ST MARK)
Former Parish Church. Designed 1904 by Hicks and Charlewood of Newcastle, built
1905-6 at the expense of W.D.Cruddas of Haughton Castle and consecrated
10th March 1906. Altered 1967. Nave and chancel divided by a bellcote. Nave
aisles with vestries and organ chamber. Sandstone ashlar with slate roofs.
Ashlar coped gables with kneelers and angle buttresses. Perpendicular
Revival style. East front has large 7-light pointed arch window with panel
tracery and hood mould. Angles topped by crocketed pinnacles and gable
topped by finial. To the left a lean-to with a 3-light pointed arch window
with panel tracery, to the right a 3-light flat-headed mullion window.
South front has 2 window chancel and 6 window nave with aisles and
clerestory. North front has 2 window chancel with single storey hipped roof
vestry, and 2 storey gabled organ chamber. Vestry has a 2-light mullion
window and a pointed arch doorway with hood mould, beyond the organ chamber
has a 3-light mullion window and above a tall 3-light pointed arch window
with hood mould. The nave has 5, 3-light pointed arch windows and to the
west a single pointed arch doorway with double doors and a wooden tracery
overlight. Above the clerestory has 5, 3-light flat-headed mullion windows
and a single 2-light window to the west. West front has a four light
pointed arch window with a central major mullion. On the roof between the
nave and chancel a gabled bellcote with 2 round headed bell openings.
Interior: 6 bay nave arcades with double chamfered pointed arches with
octagonal piers and responds. Elaborate wooden single hammer beam roof. The
west section of the nave has been partitioned off in 1967 to a hall,
meeting rooms, kitchens etc. Double chamfered pointed arch. Fittings
include temporary organ by Bishop & sons with wooden case. Wooden pews,
choir stalls and screens. Octagonal stone font decorated with panel
tracery, 1906 with a wooden font cover added 1933. Brass lectern 1906. East
window dedicated 8th June 1921 as a war memorial by John Charles Bevsey.
Listing NGR: NZ2727464982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings