History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 56 (County Court) and Gates, Piers and Railings in Front

A Grade II Listed Building in Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9703 / 54°58'13"N

Longitude: -1.6169 / 1°37'0"W

OS Eastings: 424623

OS Northings: 564031

OS Grid: NZ246640

Mapcode National: GBR SNS.G4

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.4BBJ

Entry Name: Number 56 (County Court) and Gates, Piers and Railings in Front

Listing Date: 17 December 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304922

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text

NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD
(north side)
20/570 No. 56 (County Court)
17.12.71 and gates, piers and
railings in front
GV II
County Court building. Dated 1864.
Sandstone ashlar with rusticated quoins to upper floors; dark slate roof. Classical
style. 3 storeys, 5 bays and archway at left. Steps up to double door under fanlight
in right bay; Rusticated ground floor forming voussoirs to end doors, 4 round-headed
windows and left archway. Masks on arch keys. Margined sash windows, shallow seg-
mental-headed on first floor, and square-headed on second, those on upper floors
in architraves which are lugged and keyed on first and have bracketed sills on
second floors. Ground-floor entablature with dentilled cornice; second-floor sill
band and lintel string which supports brackets to top cornice. Low-pitched hipped
roof has tall ashlar chimneys with bracketed cornices. Royal Arms on blocking course
above left archway; ground-floor frieze inscribed COUNTY COURT 1864.
4 square piers flank carriage entrance at left aid pedestrian entrance at right;
flat-coped swarf wall between supports spear-headed wrought iron railings and gates.


Listing NGR: NZ2462364031

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.