This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9694 / 54°58'9"N
Longitude: -1.6142 / 1°36'51"W
OS Eastings: 424793
OS Northings: 563932
OS Grid: NZ247639
Mapcode National: GBR SP5.8S
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.5CK7
Entry Name: Neville Hall and Wood Memorial Hall
Listing Date: 12 November 1965
Last Amended: 29 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304944
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: Westgate
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
1833/23/592 WESTGATE ROAD
29-AUG-03 (South side)
NEVILLE HALL AND WOOD MEMORIAL HALL
Also Known As:
North of England Mining and Mechanical Engineers Institute,
Offices, library and lecture theatre. 1869-72 by Archibald M. Dunn for the Coal Owners' Association on behalf of the North of England Institute of Mining Engineers; lecture theatre interior 1902 by Cackett and Burns Dick. Polychrome sandstone with Shap granite columns at entrance; slate roof. Gothic style. 3 storeys, 5 bays to Westgate Road and 3 windows in right corner bay; right return to Orchard Street has 4 bays and a fifth wide gable. Corner steps to panelled door with side and overlights, in projecting canted ground-floor section; corbelled-out oriel above has lancet windows and female figure. Ground floor has shouldered mullioned-and-transomed windows and panels above with carved colts of arms; cusped 2-centred arches over similar first floor windows, except those in second and third bays which are square-headed and have stone balcony. Buttresses define bays and support shafts to Lombard frieze above first floor. Third-floor windows project into half-dormers with cusped heads under gables flanked by plinth blocks which originally held griffins, now removed. Octagonal corner turret; steeply-pitched roof with truncated chimneys; Neville symbol finial to turret. A decorated sill band on the Orchard Street elevation commemorates the ' North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, erected AD 1870.'
Interior shows much high-quality work. Entrance leads to broad staircase hall with closed-string open-well stair having heavy turned baluster balustrade and massive newels, and original doors, those to ground-floor lecture theatre, double, half-panelled under segmental heads installed 1902 along with the lecture theatre. Lecture theatre has a near-semicircle of bench seating; dado panelling and rear dado screen. Past presidents are commemorated in the panelling to the side walls. Egg and dart moulding to cornice, and mouldings continue into arched entrance, terminating in Ionic capitals with lions; compartmented ceiling. To side jack-arched fireproof bookstore with built-in glazed cabinets and shelving; book-store to rear is a later structure with iron galleries.
The upper floors above the lecture theatre and book store are occupied by the Wood Memorial Hall, the Institute's library. Double-height with gallery on two sides; five bays and with stained glass windows at each end commemorating Nicholas Wood of Hetton, first President of the Institute, who died 19 December 1865. His statue - in stone canopied surround - dominates the library, which is entered from the centre of the opposite side, flanked by stone fireplaces. Barrell-vaulted roof with skylight supported on short, paired stone columns with capitals, heavy modillion cornice with stencilled frieze above. Round-arched arcades between intended for busts, though only John Buddle and Thomas Emerson Forster are so far so commemorated. Below, the walls are panelled, and embellished with the names of past presidents. Cast-iron balconies with spiral stairs at each end.
Chamfered coping to dwarf walls in front supporting cast-iron area railings.
The building commemorates Newcastle's former pre-eminence in coal mining and the coal trade. It houses the world's most significant mining library and related primary material.
Newcastle Daily Chronicle, 30 May, 1870.
'Renaissance', The Mining Institute, 2002
Listing NGR: NZ2479363932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings