This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9699 / 54°58'11"N
Longitude: -1.6171 / 1°37'1"W
OS Eastings: 424610
OS Northings: 563986
OS Grid: NZ246639
Mapcode National: GBR SNR.RR
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.4B7V
Entry Name: 55 and 57, Westgate Road
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304949
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: Westgate
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2463 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD
17.12.71 Nos. 55 and 57 (formerly
listed as Nos. 55 to 59
One house. Now shops and offices. Circa 1750. Sandstone ashlar; slate roof,
graduated over 4 left bays. Ashlar and brick chimneys. 3 storeys and attics; 2:3:2
bays. Central door in Jacobean style doorcase with keyed arch under segmental
pediment. Rusticated pilasters to 3 ground-floor bays at left; alterations at right.
Inserted shops. Giant pilasters above define groups. Architraves and aprons to sashes
with glazing bars; floor bands between pilasters. Pilaster capitals at window head
level; top entablature with coved frieze. Roof has 2 small segmental-headed dormers,
with sashes at centre and left; renewed dormer with barge-boarded gable at right.
Interior shows rococo plaster to front ground-floor room, now shop at No. 57, with
phoenix motif on wall. Staircase with strap-work and plain panels, and portrait
profiles in oval medallions. Venetian window on half-landing with Doric entablature.
Putti and garlands above. Italian signature and date scratched on 1 pane,preserved
under glass, 1796. Shallow, panelled dome above. Eagle in medallion under balcony,
garlands over doors. 3 connecting rooms, 2-, 5-and 2-bay on 1st floor. All with
plaster panels and decorative cornices. Centre room elaborate ceiling with centre-
piece of putti with cornucopia on clouds and portrait medallions around. Corner
fireplace with decorative panel above. Alcove with bucranium motif and garlands.
Doorway with flat pediment and carved, pulvinated frieze. 1 side room has flower
and leaf pattern on ceiling. Wrought iron staircase and balcony railings probably
contemporary with plaster work.
Listing NGR: NZ2461063986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings