History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church and Hall Attached

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9754 / 54°58'31"N

Longitude: -1.6025 / 1°36'9"W

OS Eastings: 425540

OS Northings: 564599

OS Grid: NZ255645

Mapcode National: GBR SQW.1B

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.C64N

Entry Name: Christ Church and Hall Attached

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024748

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304869

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Ouseburn

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Jesmond

Listing Text

NZ 26 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE SHIELDFIELD GREEN
(east side)
12/523 Christ Church and hall
14.6.54 attached
GV II*
Parish church. 1859-61 by A.B. Higham. Squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh
slate roofs. SW tower; aisled nave, with first north bay containing canted porch;
chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Decorated style. Shallow west porch has
3 gables over tall 2-centred-arched door and flanking triple niches. Similar double
door in NW porch has crocketed gables and single niches; head-stopped drip moulds
above moulded arches on shafts with flower capitals. 5-light west window. Projecting
tower has 3 and 2-light windows and large belfry openings. Angle buttresses with
gargoyles crocketed gables. Stone broach spire. 2-light aisle windows have
head-stopped drip moulds; 4-light east window. Cross finials to 3 steeply-pitched
roofs. Interior: painted plaster and painted ashlar; arch-braced roof with high
collar and queen posts. Quatrefoil piers with crocket capitals to moulded 2-centred
arches of nave and 2-bay chancel arcades; flower or head-stopped drip moulds.
Tall chamfered tower arch contains door and boarded screen. 3 steps to chancel, one
to sanctuary and one to altar; medieval-style floor tiles. Gothic-panelled wood
reredos. Late C19 brass plaque on north chancel wall to William Boyd, banker. Re-
constructed medieval octagonal font. Hall breaks forward on ritual south, completing
stepped frontage to green: one storey, porch and 3-sided end to street. Moulded
surround to 2-centred-arched door set back at left; 3 windows of 2 pairs of Gothic
lights under continuous drip mould; hipped roof.


Listing NGR: NZ2554064599

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.